Head of Sales
Head of SalesDakar, Senegal • View all jobs
We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that's where you come in.....
In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water, and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. Now, we're enabling millions of users and growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a Head of Sales with a great network who is resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. As a Head of Sales, you will lead the department responsible for acquiring new businesses for Wave's commercial products.
In this role, you'll:
- Build and manage the Corporate sales team to meet the growing needs of the business
- Own all aspects of the sales funnel for businesses that could be users of Wave's business products (bulk payments, cash collection, in-person payments, API payments). This includes:
- Sourcing businesses, identifying business leads, and pitching Wave to potential businesses
- Identifying the optimal Wave solutions for businesses, based on a deep understanding of our product capabilities
- Negotiating and signing contracts with businesses
- Ensuring a great onboarding experience for business accounts, including compliance checks, to the point where they are transacting
- Collaborate with our Success team to ensure a great customer experience after onboarding
- Mentor and train a focused sales team with the highest standards of communication and presentation to our partners
- Define and implement processes (including CRM tools and dashboards) in order to drive and monitor team performance and constant payments growth
- Coordinate and facilitate communication between businesses and Wave teams (Engineers, Finance, Distribution)
- Work closely with the product team on sales team needs, including effectively prioritizing product requests based on the needs of businesses
- Develop presentations, proposals, and source partnerships
- Overcommunicate by taking notes in meetings and sharing relevant information with key individuals
- Work with other payments and product leads to define our overall strategy and setting of sales targets for each cycle
- The location is in Dakar, Senegal - frequent domestic travel may be required
- Work authorization in Senegal is required.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized child care when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
- Airtime reimbursement.
- Free food and beautiful office space.
- Fluent in English & French
- Previous experience in sales/business development
- 7+ years of experience in sales especially in mobile money/financial services
- Worked in the field force with a proven track record in building segmentation and targeting.
- Successfully managed a sales team with experience in sales coverage models and quota setting.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities and problem-solving skills.
- Industry experience and use of a CRM is a plus
- Bonus point if you are fluent in Wolof
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors, including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Please add a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role.
Wave is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.