Head of Payments
Head of PaymentsDakar, Senegal • View all jobs
We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that's where you come in.....
How you'll help us achieve it
We're looking for an experienced manager to lead and grow our Payments team, the fastest-growing product at Wave. Payments comprises a range of products targeting Merchants, including our Merchant app, checkout API, & in-app payments.
You'll work cross-functionally with other leaders in Product, Marketing, BizDev, and Operations.
As our Head of Payments, you will:
- Lead Wave's fastest-growing business unit across all operational functions - corporate sales and account management, distribution and marketing, informal merchant opening, and operational and financial planning.
- Manage the payments team in Senegal and continue to strengthen the team by attracting and nurturing the best talent across all Payments functions.
- Collaborate closely with our remote-based Product, Engineering, and Data teams to shape and prioritize the most important products, features, and internal tools to accelerate payments growth.
- Understand pain points firsthand, spending time on the ground talking to users, merchants, corporates, and public sector organizations across every sector
- Experiment a lot: we're looking for someone curious and passionate about solving problems and constantly iterating to find the right solution for payment adoption and growth.
- Execute high-impact growth strategies, ATL, and BTL campaigns to scale our payments volume and ecosystem - across every major corporation in Senegal, to tens of thousands of highly active merchants and millions of payers.
- Support on closing deals and growing volume with our biggest strategic partners in transport, fuel, retail, FMCG, online payments, and the public sector
- Lead operational and financial planning on OKRs, KPIs, and operational budgets for each 2-month cycle, in close coordination with the GM Payments
- Location is based primarily in Dakar, with possible short-term relocations within Senegal.
- Work authorization in Senegal is required.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized child care when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now- we subsidize gym memberships and fitness classes.
- Airtime reimbursement
- Free food and a beautiful office space
- 5+ years of experience in Payments at a high-growth technology, financial service company, or large multinational company in Africa (global experience is highly desirable) or experience as a previous founder of a consumer-focused tech company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally with product managers, engineers, sales teams, legal, compliance, and operational leadership
- Openness and curiosity. We maximize our learning rate at Wave, and we're looking for someone with a growth mindset who can be flexible in the face of ambiguity.
You might be a good fit if you
- Build strong relationships and bring out the best in people
- Excel at leadership and enjoy managing diverse teams
- Are metrics-oriented and experienced in leading teams toward KPIs
- Communicate effectively and often, both in writing and in person, to the point of over-communication
- Think from first principles about how things should work
- Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do
- Are a self-starter and proactive about achieving ambitious targets
- Willing to go the distance to get something done
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors, including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Please add a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role.
Wave is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.