Senior Director Marketing
Senior Director MarketingRemote • View all jobs
We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that's where you come in.....
How you'll help us achieve it
We are looking for a Director of Marketing who can drive growth while maintaining a consistent brand image and following a rigorous budgeting process. We need a leader who can oversee a compelling brand strategy and lead go-to-market for new products via the management of our internal marketing team and external partners. You will report to Wave’s CEO and co-founder.
In this role, you'll:
- Lead the marketing team
- Build and mentor a high-performing marketing team focused on achieving ambitious growth targets.
- Foster collaboration with other departments to ensure effective prioritization and execution of marketing activities.
- Manage the relationship and strategy with external marketing agencies or internal PR teams.
- Work closely and align with PR in shaping Wave’s response to policy and operational issues.
- Drive growth by developing and prioritizing marketing strategies effectively
- Develop and execute multi-channel product marketing strategies. This includes overseeing social media content strategy and execution across all channels, including influencer initiatives.
- Monitor metrics to measure marketing campaign effectiveness and optimize overall marketing performance over time.
- Continuously build and improve messaging across all channels and target audiences across various segments
- Identify and close deals with marketing-specific partners.
- Optimize the cost of customer acquisition and own marketing budgeting
- Collaborate across marketing to establish and manage marketing budgets for each country.
- Monitor spending to ensure resources are utilized effectively. Identify cost-saving opportunities and allocate budgets strategically to maximize return on investment.
- Optimize customer acquisition cost by working with our growth team to evaluate campaign performances and channel effectiveness.
- Manage Wave’s brand
- Oversee brand efforts, ensuring consistent and impactful brand communications across all marketing materials and touchpoints.
- Be curious and seek to deeply understand Wave’s product and story
- Location: Remote
- Travel: Plan to travel 10-25% of the time to operating markets
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access.
- Our salaries are competitive and are calculated using a transparent formula, depending on your level of experience and location. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses or promotions to strong performers who have been with the company for more than six months
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country to country)
- 6 months of fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Flexible vacation, with most folks taking between 30-40 days per year
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Language: Excellent English written and verbal skills. Bonus: Fluency in French.
- Previous Experience:
- Managing multi-million dollar marketing budget
- Leading marketing activities at a rapidly scaling organization
- 10+ years in managing and implementing marketing strategies across Africa or in a fast-growing venture-backed company
You might be a good fit if you
- Have led impactful brand strategy for a globally recognized company
- Have developed and executed on B2C marketing strategies in Africa
- Are a creative storyteller with strategic vision and great attention to detail in implementation
- Are deeply analytical in your approach to marketing and in optimizing the cost of customer acquisition
- Excel at managing large cross-cultural teams with rapidly changing priorities
- Are a strong communicator and are comfortable defaulting to overreaching when it comes to coordination
Bonus points if you
- Have led marketing for an organization with 5+ million users
- Have worked at a fintech
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Optional: Please feel free to add a cover letter or note if there is anything additional that you would like to share about your interest in Wave/the role or your experience. We review applications on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.