Associate Video Editor/Producer, The Dodo
The Dodo is seeking a creative and social-media savvy visual storyteller with experience creating content on Instagram and Tiktok to join our video team. To thrive in this role, you’ll need to excel at sourcing and crafting an emotionally compelling narrative that hooks viewers immediately and keeps them watching. You’ll produce social videos from start to finish — from sourcing content online from creators and other accounts, conducting interviews with talent and requesting extra footage, to scripting and structuring memorable, funny and emotional stories.
WHO WE ARE
The Dodo is the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S., and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres. We tell fun, entertaining, emotional stories about animals that make people laugh, cry happy tears, feel ALL the feels, and fall in love with animals.
The Dodo is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Create an allotted number of midform and shortform videos, from start to finish: sourcing, producing and editing
- Consistently pitch and bank strong projects with viral potential and meet monthly or quarterly deliverables
- Produce videos from scratch with guidance from managers — conducting a pre-pro call with the talent, constructing a narrative, establishing a shot list that delivers on that vision, conducting interviews, and editing the produced footage into a cohesive story
- Create and maintain strong relationships with talents — this includes regularly following their platforms for updates and establishing a regular pipeline of communication for future pitches
- Brainstorm new ideas for both midform and shortform content
WHO YOU ARE
- Consistently exceeds team benchmarks
- Consistently produces story beats needed to create a complete arc and deliver on the social copy
- Takes full accountability for deliverables and performance, whether as an individual or as a leader of a group
- Embraces new challenges and smartly experiments with new formats while remaining true to the brand and best practices
- Understands business needs and individual role in meeting company goals
- Proactively takes on projects and initiatives that contribute to the success of the team
- 3+ years experience producing and editing, preferably at a major media company
- Has an active presence on social media, creating content on a regular basis for their profile — particularly on TikTok — and is comfortable being on camera
- Has a proactive, can-do attitude and collaborates with others across the team
- Calm under pressure and proactively pivots when needed
- Proficient in Premiere and can efficiently use our template and follow guidelines so videos are consistently free of technical mistakes
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
This is a bargaining unit position covered by the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with the Writers Guild of America, East.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.
The salary range listed below represents the minimum and maximum base pay for this position at the time of this posting. Final salary offered to the candidate selected for the position will be based on factors including but not limited to the candidate's skills and experience.