Deputy Editor, Reviews & Commerce, The Verge
The Verge is seeking a Deputy Editor, Reviews and Commerce, to oversee a crucial piece of our editorial and business strategy and to manage a large team of editors, reviewers, and writers.
The Verge is the only publication in the world that can connect the forces that shape the technology world with the actual everyday experience of using consumer tech products. Our expertise across coverage areas feeds into our industry-leading reviews program, where we can not only help people decide what to buy, but how to understand the choices in front of them.
WHO WE ARE
The Verge is an ambitious multimedia effort founded in 2011 to examine how technology will change life in the future for a massive mainstream audience.
The Verge is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As Deputy Editor for Reviews and Commerce, you will be primarily responsible for assigning, writing, and editing reviews of consumer tech, buying guides and how-to articles. You will directly manage a Senior Reviews Editor, Commerce Editor, and a team of reviewers and commerce writers. You will collaborate closely with other editors on how to cover product news, announcements, and analysis. You will partner with Verge leadership and other company stakeholders to manage our audience and business goals.
As we face major disruptions to the way people discover new products, such as social video and generative search, you should be a strategic and visionary leader who can quickly change our strategy to meet audience demands.
- You'll work with the Verge leadership team to develop and execute our reviews and commerce strategy. You'll help define the mix of content, the voice, and tone of our Reviews and How-to content — both written and on video.
- You will ensure that we hit our goals of publishing enough of those stories and maintaining their industry-leading quality.
- You will work with our business teams to set affiliate commerce goals that can be met while upholding our editorial standards.
- You’ll work closely with our news and tech team to make sure the reviewers on your team are showcasing their expertise daily on the website.
- As commerce evolves you’ll work closely with leadership to evolve our strategies and ensure we continue to meet our goals for commerce and reviews.
- You will directly manage a team of editors and writers, providing clear communication, regular constructive feedback, and career development opportunities.
WHO YOU ARE
You should have strong editorial and organizational skills, a good network of contacts, and expertise in writing about technology. Along with crafting high-level strategy, you will help steer our Reviews and Commerce section’s day-to-day direction and its long-term tone — working in collaboration with the editors reporting to you as well as site leadership.
This is a job that demands proven experience in the fields of reviews and commerce. You should:
- Have a creative vision for the future of Reviews and Commerce.
- Have experience managing a successful teams
- Have experience reviewing products and editing product reviews
- Have established connections with the companies we cover
- Be able to take meetings in New York and San Francisco as needed
- Have a deep passion for and expertise in consumer technology
- Have the ability to find, assign, and follow up on compelling stories, especially those that aren't tied to specific news cycle
- Have track record of assigning and editing impactful, important stories
- Understand our audience and business data use it constantly evolve your strategy
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (email@example.com).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.
The salary range listed below represents the minimum and maximum base pay for this position at the time of this posting. Final salary offered to the candidate selected for the position will be based on factors including but not limited to the candidate's skills and experience.