Assistant General Counsel
WHO WE ARE
The Legal & Business Affairs team of Vox Media is seeking an Assistant General Counsel who will be responsible for a wide array of corporate transactional and governance matters. We’re looking for a business-minded attorney with deep experience in joint ventures and M&A, as well as financing transactions. In addition to leading the company’s extraordinary transactions, the successful candidate will manage the company’s equity incentive program, legal entity maintenance, and corporate insurance. As a corporate utility player, this position will also lead the Corporate, Compliance and Operations (CCO) team, overseeing attorneys (procurement, data privacy, brand licensing, etc.) and legal operations professionals.
This position reports to the General Counsel while working closely with other members of the Legal & Business Affairs department and internal business teams and leadership across the company. This position is perfect for an attorney who has demonstrated leadership skills, a broad range of experience with transactional and corporate matters, and who thrives individually and within a team.
As the leading modern media company, Vox Media guides its audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
Within Vox Media, the Legal & Business Affairs team has a reputation for rolling up our sleeves and figuring things out. Colleagues turn to the Legal & Business Affairs team not only for policy-setting, risk assessment, and negotiations, but also to help make business decisions and help shape the strategy of the company.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Play a key role in M&A, joint venture, and financing transactions, including negotiating definitive documentation, managing cross-functional due diligence processes, and assisting in all areas of deal development, structuring, execution, and integration.
- Draft, negotiate, and interpret NDAs, letters of intent, investor rights agreements, voting agreements, right of first refusal agreements, stock purchase agreements, corporate charter and operating agreements, and other shareholder or investor agreements.
- Manage a team of legal operations professionals who find and create operational efficiencies for the Legal & Business Affairs team, and attorneys who focus on vendor procurement and compliance matters (e.g., data privacy, gaming regulators, etc.).
- Prepare and manage corporate governance documentation, including Board and committee minutes, Board and stockholder written consents and resolutions, corporate subsidiary formation and dissolution, and other general books and records.
- Advise on securities and shareholder matters, including managing the Company’s cap table via Carta, processing employee stock option and RSU grants and exercises, and managing investor relations.
- Advise on executive equity compensation matters, with a broad understanding of related tax consequences such as Section 409A and incentive and nonqualified stock options.
- Manage the Company’s corporate insurance program, including enterprise risk management, program structuring and renewal, and certificates of insurance, as well as collaborating with other Legal & Business Affairs team members with claims reporting.
- Review, draft, negotiate and interpret various contracts, including real estate leases, vendor agreements, and other agreements as the need may arise.
WHO YOU ARE
- JD and admitted to practice.
- 6+ years of experience at a major law firm or in-house, with a preference for experience at a media or entertainment company.
- Demonstrated M&A or financing attorney with proven drafting, deal structuring, project leadership, negotiation, and communication skills required; exposure to executive compensation, tax, real estate, corporate insurance, venture capital or private equity is a plus.
- Experience interacting with boards and senior leadership, including summarizing risk assessments, communicating complex deal points, and providing thoughtful business guidance.
- Experience managing attorneys and non-attorneys, including supervising direct reports with substantive expertise in areas where you are not the subject matter expert.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels and across all areas of the company.
- Creative, flexible, enthusiastic, innovative, and a can-do, no job is too small, team player attitude.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, and strong legal drafting abilities.
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is based in either Washington, DC or New York. While we currently do not require Legal & Business Affairs team members to work out of the office regularly, team members are expected to be available to come into the office from time to time for meetings with other team members or key stakeholders.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.
The salary range listed below represents the minimum and maximum base pay for this position at the time of this posting. Final salary offered to the candidate selected for the position will be based on factors including but not limited to the candidate's skills and experience.