Junior Writer, The Strategist
WHO WE ARE
The Strategist is a site for helping people shop the internet smartly. We’re looking for a Junior Writer to join our team of journalists, who are obsessively testing new products, collecting first-hand experience, and interviewing those whose taste and expertise we trust to find the products that are actually worth buying. The website, an offshoot of New York’s National Magazine Award–winning print section of the same name, offers readers rigorously-vetted articles to help navigate the vast online shopping landscape. Think of us as your shopaholic friends who care equally about function, value, innovation, and good taste.
The Strategist is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Write and/or update 5-6 articles each week on a variety of topics, including gift guides, sales posts, and monthly product roundups
- Research products across the online shopping-sphere to recommend to readers, in a wide range of categories (i.e., fashion, beauty, homewares, gadgets, kitchen, etc.)
- Synthesize reporting, research, and product reviews from the Strategist’s archive to write engaging articles in the site’s voice and tone
- Additional editorial responsibilities, as assigned by editors
WHO YOU ARE
- 1-2 years of professional journalism experience or internship experience
- Strong writing skills with an understanding of, or willingness to learn, the Strategist’s voice, tone, and approach to service journalism
- Excellent communication skills, especially in a remote or flex work environment with a distributed team
- An ability to balance both short-term and long-term projects, with an eye for detail and keeping to deadlines
- A familiarity with digital publishing tools, preferred
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is flex.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.