Backend Engineering Intern - Fall 2023 - Verkada Device Platform
San Mateo, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Who We Are
Verkada is the largest cloud-based B2B physical security platform company in the world. Only Verkada offers seven product lines — video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms, visitor management, mailroom management and intercoms — integrated with a single cloud-based software platform.
Designed with simplicity and scalability in mind, Verkada gives organizations the real-time insight to know what could impact the safety and comfort of people throughout their physical environment, while empowering them to take immediate action to minimize security risks, workplace frustrations and costly inefficiencies.
Founded in 2016 with more than $360M in funding raised to date, Verkada has expanded rapidly with 14 offices across three continents, 1,500+ full-time employees and 15,700+ customers across 70+ countries, including 43 companies in the Fortune 500.
Verkada is looking for software engineering interns to join our team for an exciting and challenging internship. We are seeking interns who will thrive in a startup culture working alongside teammates to launch products that will be utilized by customers across the globe. As an intern working with the Backend Engineering team, you will have opportunities to work across the full software stack and collaborate cross-functionally to build the latest iterations of Verkada’s flagship software enabling our best-in-class security systems.
- Build scalable distributed systems capable of handling high traffic from 100s of thousands of devices deployed around the world.
- Work with high concurrency key-value storage systems (Redis, DynamoDB)
- Work with Postgres relational databases
- Work with logging and message passing technologies like Kafka and SQS
- Deploy services via Terraform and Kubernetes
- Develop large scale systems to interact with and configure products remotely.
- Define and improve low-latency, high-throughput, high-reliability microservice architectures.
- Design and develop features incorporating cutting edge computer vision
- Design clean APIs and implement them using Python and/or Go.
- Ability to work at Verkada HQ during fall 2023
- Actively pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study. Graduating by June 2024.
- Prior internship experience developing and launching products.
- Familiar with: Python or Golang, Distributed Systems, Operating Systems, AWS, Docker, etc.
- Comfortable working in an agile team software development environment.
- Familiar with REST APIs and Linux servers are a plus
Verkada is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is support for members and allies of our internal communities like Women at Verkada, Pride at Verkada, Multicultural at Verkada, and Parents at Verkada.
See more open positions at Verkada
Something looks off?