Associate General Counsel, Privacy & Policy
San Mateo, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2022
Who We Are
Verkada is the largest cloud-based B2B physical security platform company in the world. Only Verkada offers seven product lines — video security cameras, access control, environmental sensors, alarms, visitor management, mailroom management and intercoms — integrated with a single cloud-based software platform.
Designed with simplicity and scalability in mind, Verkada gives organizations the real-time insight to know what could impact the safety and comfort of people throughout their physical environment, while empowering them to take immediate action to minimize security risks, workplace frustrations and costly inefficiencies.
Founded in 2016 with more than $360M in funding raised to date, Verkada has expanded rapidly with 14 offices across three continents, 1,500+ full-time employees and 15,700+ customers across 70+ countries, including 43 companies in the Fortune 500.
About the Role
This is a unique opportunity to join Verkada’s legal team as its first and top privacy counsel and own Verkada’s global privacy program, policies, and compliance functions. You will also own the company’s new policy and government affairs function, and be tasked with building that function along with key business stakeholders. You will report to Verkada’s General Counsel but you’ll be expected to directly advise Verkada’s leadership team on all things privacy issues. You will be part of company leadership and play a significant role in shaping the direction of the business. The ideal candidate will be able to hit the ground running and lead the company’s privacy program from the outset.
What You’ll Be Expected To Do
- Build and then lead Verkada’s legal privacy team
- Lead Verkada’s global privacy program in collaboration with other key privacy and product leaders at Verkada, and oversee the ongoing maintenance and improvements to the program’s operation, policies, and procedures
- Lead Verkada’s response to any privacy incidents and to any inquiries from global regulators regarding privacy issues
- Lead Verkada’s privacy training program to ensure ongoing compliance with Verkada’s evolving data privacy obligations
- Advise Verkada on transactions involving privacy issues, data sharing, and privacy law and regulations worldwide
- Serve as Verkada’s subject matter legal expert on all privacy issues, including across all aspects of global privacy law and regulation
- Monitor new and emerging developments in privacy laws and regulations, including identifying potential impacts on current and future Verkada products and services
- Actively promote the importance of data privacy and security at Verkada, both internally and externally
- Build and then own and lead Verkada’s public policy and government affairs functions
- Develop a policy function that begins by monitoring, and advising company leadership on, key legislative developments that could impact the company and its business now or in the future, at both the federal and state level (domestically) as well as internationally
- Identify opportunities, where and when appropriate, to advocate Verkada’s positions with respect to legislative developments domestically and internationally
What An Ideal Background Looks Like
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school
- 10+ years of relevant legal experience (preferably with at least 2 years of in-house counsel experience at a technology company)
- Expertise in the evolving landscape of data privacy regulations with experience spotting emerging trends and new issues
- Experience advising multinational, complex fast-growing global companies, preferably with both hardware and software product offerings
- Experience developing, and implementing privacy programs and privacy policies
- Experience advising clients in global transactions involving privacy issues, data sharing, and privacy law and regulations
- Experience advising clients on global policy matters, new legislative and regulatory developments, and legal and policy advocacy options and strategies
US Employee Benefits
Verkada is committed to investing in the holistic health and wellbeing of all employees and their families. Our benefits and perks programs include, but are not limited to:
• Healthcare programs that can be tailored to meet the personal health and financial well-being needs - Premiums are 100% covered for the employee under most plans and 80% for family premiums
• Nationwide medical, vision and dental coverage
• Health Saving Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) with tax saving options
• Expanded mental health support
• Paid parental leave policy & fertility benefits
• Time off to relax and recharge through our paid holidays, firmwide extended holidays, flexible PTO and personal sick time
• Professional development stipend
• Wellness/fitness benefits
• Healthy lunches and dinners provided daily
Verkada Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, Verkada is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals. All applicants for positions at Verkada will be treated without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
See more open positions at Verkada
Something looks off?