Senior Android Engineer, Device Experience
Bready* to make a change?
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Every day, many thousands of servers, hosts, and chefs use Toast POS (Point of Sale) to serve millions of guests in their restaurants. To make our restaurants successful, we need to develop products that install painlessly, work together seamlessly, and quickly guide restaurant staff and Toast team members to resolve any problems that occur.
The Device Experience team sits at the intersection of Toast’s hardware and software and builds cloud based services, and device software that creates a frictionless experience for customers. Starting from the first time a device is provisioned until its end-of-life, the team takes a system-oriented approach crafting solutions that take software, hardware, networking, user experience, people and processes into account to provide the best results for our users.
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer who is hands-on with coding, is able to design end to end systems, and will pave the path for the team to build modern technical solutions keeping customer empathy in mind. If you are someone who collaborates well with teams within the organization, can think big, and are passionate about building software systems used to manage hardware devices with high focus on quality, this position is for you!
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Hands-on design and implementation of Android applications in Java or Kotlin to ease Toast device integration and user experience
- Lead design and development of the next generation of Toast’s software services and applications to bring a seamless device integration and user experience for customers
- Collaborate with Product Management, Hardware, QA and other Software teams on the product roadmap and requirements to build a long term vision for Toast
- Create technical requirements and detailed designs of the software system being developed
- Lead effort estimation sessions and use sound judgment to enable planning of projects
- Diagnose performance bottlenecks and implement optimizations
- Make solid technical decisions keeping software quality, security, and maintainability in mind
- Help set the standard for software quality by adopting modern software test frameworks and practices in day to day development
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 5+ years of software development experience, which includes 3+ years of Android application development
- Experience designing and developing software to manage and support hardware devices
- Android application design experience creating end to end systems
- Proficient in a modern object-oriented programming language such as Java or Kotlin
- Passionate about building great software
- An interest and commitment to continuous learning
- Passionate about solving large scale problems and building great software for customers
- Technical experience leading multi-person projects
Bonus ingredients* (preferred skills)
- Experience developing microservices in Java or Kotlin
- Experience developing single page Frontend applications using the React framework
- Experience with monitoring tools to debug and resolve tough customer issues
- Understanding of Virtual LAN, network segregation, firewall, and related networking concepts
- Experience writing scripts in Python
Our Spread* of Total Rewards:
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- 100% paid childbirth recovery medical leave
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave
- Eligibility for 100% paid medical or family leave
- Subsidized backup childcare
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Home office and telecommunications stipends
- Free access to Certified Financial Planners
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Something looks off?