Software Engineer II - FinTech
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Now, more than ever, we Toast-ers are committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, they can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Are you bready* to make a change?
Toast is scaling rapidly, and the growth is fuelled by its strong Fintech foundation. We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Fintech team, where you would be leading a functional charter and would get to build, innovate and upscale the next generation of our software solutions. You would be working with highly passionate people who thrive and live to learn and coach.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Design, build, deploy, and maintain highly resilient and scalable features across Toast’s Fintech Line-of-Products.
- Champion best practices for SDLC & CICD life-cycles.
- Ensure quality by building automated testing for changes.
- Roll* features out to customers, including monitoring for success and/or failures.
- Collaborate organically with peer engineers, provide design feedback, and participate in code reviews.
- Drive high-quality team output and ensure that the team makes solid technical decisions.
- Collaborate with PM, UX & QA on the development of new features & products.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 2+ years of experience as a software engineer.
- Proficiency in Object Oriented Programming Languages such as Java, Kotlin etc. (Experience with other languages should not be a concern as competent engineers can adapt promptly)
- Exposure to a wide array of Data Structures & Algorithms.
- Have knowledge of and experience with building Backend Services & APIs.
- Have a strong understanding of Distributed-Systems gained from hands-on experience.
- Experience working in a team with Agile/Scrum methodologies.
- Experience working with Cloud Infrastructure (AWS or similar).
- Experience with organically collaborating with other engineers.
- Experience shipping production services and balancing getting things done with platform stability and reliability
- You demonstrate humility, empathy and respectfulness.
We believe that competent engineers can adapt promptly with little help, so even if you don’t satisfy all the criterias but have a strong belief in your competencies, please do still apply!
Our Tech Stack
Toast’s products run on a stack that ranges from guest and restaurant-facing Android tablets to backend services in Java & Kotlin to internal, guest-facing and restaurant-facing web apps. Our backend services follow a microservice architecture written using Java and DropWizard, with services communicating in event-driven fashion using Apache Pulsar. We use Apache Camel for implementing Enterprise Integration Pattern. We use AWS extensively, ranging from S3 to DynamoDb to Lambda. We have our own platform for dealing with user management, service elevations and robust load balancing. Toast stores data in a set of sharded Postgres databases & DynamoDb, and utilizes Apache Spark for large scale data workloads including query and batch processing. The front-end is built primarily using React and ES6. The main Toast POS application is an Android application written in Java and Kotlin. For data between tablets and our cloud platform we operate RabbitMQ clusters as well as direct tablet communication to the back end. We use Datadog for system and application metric and monitoring. We use Splunk for log aggregation.
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Something looks off?