Director of Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2021
Hive is the leading provider of cloud-based AI solutions for content understanding, trusted by the world’s largest, fastest growing, and most innovative organizations. The company empowers developers with a portfolio of best-in-class, pre-trained AI models, serving billions of customer API requests every month. Hive also offers turnkey software applications powered by proprietary AI models and datasets, enabling breakthrough use cases across industries. Together, Hive’s solutions are transforming content moderation, brand protection, sponsorship measurement, context-based ad targeting, and more.
Hive has raised over $120M in capital from leading investors, including General Catalyst, 8VC, Glynn Capital, Bain & Company, Visa Ventures, and others. We have over 250 employees globally in our San Francisco, Seattle, and Delhi offices. Please reach out if you are interested in joining the future of AI!
Director of Engineering Role
In order to execute our vision, we're constantly growing our engineering team. We are looking for an exceptional leader to help us with that growth, making sure that each engineer reaches their full potential. We value hard workers who have no qualms working with terabyte-scale datasets, are interested in learning new technologies at all levels of the stack, and move fast and take ownership of their projects. Our ideal candidate has experience not only managing a team of engineers, but experience managing engineering managers and driving engineering culture at the organization.
- Drive the execution of the company's long term vision and goals
- You will own one or more business-critical systems, working closely with cross-functional partners in developing the engineering vision and roadmaps for the organization
- Directly influence senior engineering talent in decision making for the entire organization
- Interface closely with product management, machine learning, QA, and sales teams to build roadmap in supporting the long term vision of the team
- Define and oversee high level security protocols to ensure organizational objectives are achieved
- Growing and structuring engineering teams and culture
- Maintain awareness of industry best practices for data maintenance handling as it relates to your role
- Adhere to policies, guidelines and procedures pertaining to the protection of information assets
- Report actual or suspected security and/or policy violations/breaches to an appropriate authority
- You have an undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science or similar technical field
- 4+ years experience developing software as an engineer, with experience in distributed systems and large scale application development a plus
- 2+ years experience managing engineering teams, with experience managing other managers a plus
- Are familiar with several programming languages, frameworks, and technologies such as Node, C++, Scala/Spark, SQL, Cassandra, Docker, etcAre experienced in building and maturing engineering teams and infrastructure in a start up environment
- Management skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and its individual members, delegate, mentor, and deliver results
- You have a desire to interview engineers, collaborate with a recruiting team, and smoothly onboarding new team members
- You have experience collaborating with product managers and QA in delivering product features
Who We Are
We are a group of ambitious individuals who are passionate about creating a revolutionary AI company. At Hive, you will have a steep learning curve and an opportunity to contribute to one of the fastest growing AI start-ups in San Francisco. The work you do here will have a noticeable and direct impact on the development of the company.
Thank you for your interest in Hive and we hope to meet you soon!
The current expected base salary for this position ranges from $200,000 - $300,000. Actual compensation may vary depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location. Base pay is one part of the total compensation package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work; stock options may be offered in addition to the range provided here.
See more open positions at Hive
Something looks off?