Staff Engineer - Distributed Systems
Staff Engineer - Distributed Systems
Location- (100% remote within the US or Canada)
The proliferation of machine log data has the potential to give organizations unprecedented real-time visibility into their infrastructure and operations. With this opportunity comes tremendous technical challenges around ingesting, managing, and understanding high-volume streams of heterogeneous data.
As a Staff Software Engineer - Distributed Systems, you will actively contribute and lead engineers in the design and development of new distributed data processing capabilities. You will be instrumental in helping us solve complex low-latency, distributed systems challenges to handle our ever-increasing scale. Our system is a highly distributed, fault-tolerant, multi-tenant platform that includes bleeding-edge components related to storage, messaging, search, and analytics. This system ingests and analyzes terabytes of data a day, while making petabytes of data available for search and forensic analysis.
You are a strong software engineer who is passionate about large-scale systems. You care about producing clean, elegant, maintainable, robust, well-tested code; you do this as a member of a team, helping the group come up with a better solution than you would as individuals. Ideally, you have experience with performance, scalability, and reliability issues of 24x7 commercial services.
- Designing and implementing extremely high-volume, fault-tolerant, scalable backend systems that process and manage petabytes of customer data.
- Work to improve algorithms built to schedule load on clusters of thousands of machines elastically at runtime.
- Experience in multi-threaded programming and distributed systems
- Improve systems to provide performance guarantees to customers in a shared-everything multi-tenant architecture.
- Lead and contribute to the re-architecting of our internal message processing technology to petabyte per day scale.
- Help manage exabytes of data using the latest and greatest technologies such as Kafka, Kubernetes and Docker.
- Work across Sumo interfacing with multiple teams including Search, Security and Metrics & Tracing to identify requirements and architect solutions to meet their data core ingest needs.
- B.S. or higher in Computer Sciences or related discipline (M.S. a plus)
- 6-8+ years of industry experience with a proven track record of ownership and delivery
- Experience developing scalable distributed data processing solutions
- Experience in multi-threaded programming
- Experience in running large scalable distributed services following a microservice architecture
- Hands-on object-oriented programming experience (e.g., Java, Scala)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understand performance characteristics of commonly used data structures (maps, lists, trees, etc).
- Experience in big data and/or 24x7 commercial service is highly desirable.
- You should be happy working with Unix (Linux, OS X).
- Agile software development experience (test-driven development, iterative and incremental development) is a plus.
Sumo Logic, Inc., empowers the people who power modern, digital business. Sumo Logic enables customers to deliver reliable and secure cloud-native applications through its SaaS analytics platform. The Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform™ helps practitioners and developers ensure application reliability, secure, and protect against modern security threats, and gain insights into their cloud infrastructures. Customers worldwide rely on Sumo Logic to get powerful real-time analytics and insights across observability and security solutions for their cloud-native applications. For more information, visit www.sumologic.com.
The expected annual base salary range for this position is $185,000-$215,000 + 15% bonus. In addition to base pay, certain roles are eligible to participate in our bonus or commission plans, as well as our benefits offerings, and equity awards. Compensation varies based on a variety of factors which include (but aren’t limited to) role level, skills and competencies, qualifications, knowledge, location, and experience.
- Health, Dental, Vision- Insurance
- 401k and Life Insurance options
- Unlimited PTO with 15+ days of recognized holidays
- Quarterly Wellness days
- 100% remote with the option to be in the office if you want (Bay Area, Austin, Denver, NYC)
- 3 months of paid parental leave