Senior Software Engineer I, Windows Collection
The Data Collection team owns the ingestion pipeline - starting with a lightweight agent to collect, compress, encrypt, and ship the data back to the Sumo Logic cloud.
Windows-based systems represent a large majority share of the enterprise IT infrastructure, including servers, personal computers, and cloud services. These systems can generate petabytes of platform-specific log data, including Event Logs and Event Trace Logs, which must be ingested in near-real time and with a minimal resource footprint.
As a Windows Collection Engineer, you will architect and implement the collection systems to ingest this data locally (from the machine generating the events), remotely (from a different machine within our customers’ infrastructure), and from the cloud (Azure).
You are a strong software engineer who is passionate about large-scale systems. You care about producing clean, elegant, maintainable, robust, well-tested code; you do this as a member of a team, helping the group come up with a better solution than you would as individuals. Ideally, you have experience with performance, scalability, and reliability issues of 24x7 commercial services.
- Design and implement extremely high-volume, fault-tolerant, scalable backend systems that process and manage petabytes of customer data.
- Design and develop a Windows-based collection system that will ingest and process terabytes of Windows Events using native Windows APIs and that can operate under a wide range of customer configurations.
- Design and develop troubleshooting tools to help customers identify and resolve configuration issues while collecting log data.
- Write robust code; demonstrate its robustness through automated tests.
- Work as a member of a team, helping the team respond quickly and effectively to business needs.
- B.Tech, M.Tech, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related discipline
- 5+ years of industry experience with a proven track record of ownership
- Understanding of Windows Operating System internals.
- Experience with Win32 API, Windows servers & remote machine access
- Experience in building backend services for handling data at large scale.
- Understand the performance characteristics of commonly used data structures (maps, lists, trees, etc).
- Hands-on object-oriented programming experience (e.g., Java, Scala, C++, etc)
- Experience in multi-threaded programming and distributed systems is highly desirable.
- Experience in big data and/or 24x7 commercial service is highly desirable.
- You should be happy working with Unix (Linux, OS X).
- Familiarity with one of the public cloud platforms (e.g., AWS, GCP, Azure, etc)
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Agile software development experience (test-driven development, iterative and incremental development) is a plus.
- Enjoy working in an environment where stuffed squirrels and rubber bands are occasionally hurled at you.
Sumo Logic, Inc., empowers the people who power modern, digital business. Sumo Logic enables customers to deliver reliable and secure cloud-native applications through its SaaS analytics platform. The Sumo Logic Continuous Intelligence Platform™ helps practitioners and developers ensure application reliability, secure and protect against modern security threats, and gain insights into their cloud infrastructures. Customers worldwide rely on Sumo Logic to get powerful real-time analytics and insights across observability and security solutions for their cloud-native applications. For more information, visit www.sumologic.com.