Site Reliability Engineer
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, December 6, 2023
At Rockset, we’ve built the real-time analytics database for the world's data applications. Our team and technology come from a rich heritage, rooted in the experience of building massive scale data systems at the world’s leading companies, and we created Rockset to make those kinds of powerful data platforms available to real-time application developers everywhere. We are creating a world where developers can go from complex data sets to fast, interactive applications and analysis effortlessly.
We’re a fast-growing company that values curiosity, diversity, and open-mindedness. You will solve interesting problems, surrounded by exceptional people, while making customers happy. We work hard, but also take our personal lives and experiences seriously. We are backed by Greylock Partners and Sequoia Capital, and headquartered in San Mateo, CA with offices in Boston, MA and London, UK and remote employees throughout the US.
As a site reliability engineer, you will be responsible for the automation, stability, security, configuration, monitoring, alerting, and capacity planning of Rockset's network, systems, and infrastructure. You will also build tools that help the rest of the engineering team be more productive, and including the ones that Rockset engineers use to deploy and manage their services. You will have a foundational impact on shaping the team and the systems we create. The on-call pager is shared by most of the engineering team, not just SRE.
Our infrastructure is completely hosted in Amazon Web Services. We use a variety of home grown, open source, and commercial tools, including Kubernetes, Docker, Kafka, Zookeeper, Prometheus, Grafana, Salt, Terraform, Phacility, and Buildkite. We try to deploy new code to our production environment twice a week, but as an SRE you can expect to make production changes on a daily basis.
You should expect to collaborate with all other engineering teams to develop solutions that meet reliability, security, and business requirements. Lastly, you will diagnose, triage, and build solutions for complex technical issues at scale.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $140,000/year to $215,000/year + equity + benefits. The actual pay may vary based on factors such as location, experience, and skills. Final salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s level and location. This range represents base salary only.
You'd be a great fit if you are:
- Passionate about distributed systems, database technologies, and highly scalable services
- Poised under fire and willing to share an on-call rotation with the rest of the team
- A self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Willing to learn new skills and technologies
- Attentive to details and comfortable with ambiguity
It would be even more awesome if you also have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
- Experience as an SRE for 3+ years
- Experience building and operating public-facing 24x7 web applications at scale
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure and patterns (AWS preferred)
- Strong programming skills in a scripted language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- Experience with Kubernetes, Mesos, Swarm, or similar container orchestration tools
- Experience with Terraform, Salt, Chef, Packer, or similar configuration management tools
- Experience with Grafana, Prometheus, Datadog, or similar monitoring tools
- Experience with Azure a plus
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.