Machine Learning Researcher, Internship
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
A World-Changing Company
Palantir builds the world’s leading software for data-driven decisions and operations. By bringing the right data to the people who need it, our platforms empower our partners to develop lifesaving drugs, forecast supply chain disruptions, locate missing children, and more.
We are looking for research interns to join our Machine Learning Team at Palantir. Our team develops novel machine learning techniques to address immediate customer needs and to ensure Palantir’s platforms offer unparalleled machine learning capabilities.
Ideal candidates are graduate students that are passionate about computer vision, natural language processing and deep learning. If you like to push the boundaries of what is possible, and want to address hard problems on top of unique datasets, this is the right opportunity for you! You will help us push the research boundaries across 3 different areas:
Edge AI: Implementing and customizing novel techniques to enable efficient object detection model inference on edge hardware ranging from ARM and Intel CPU architectures all the way to Jetson NVIDIA GPUs. Exploring both software-only and hardware-aware approaches to optimize the latest object detection architectures on edge hardware.
Few-shot learning and vision-language models: Driving novel few-shot learning solutions using the latest vision-language models to enable accurate object detection in overhead aerial imagery.
Natural Language Processing (NLP): Enabling end-to-end solutions in entity, event and relationship extraction and classification, as well as in the areas of structured text extraction from documents.
Technologies We Use
- Hugging Face
- Read, present and implement research papers in the relevant research areas of interest
- Modify and/or invent techniques in object detection and inference optimization to optimize performance on resource constrained hardware such as ARM, Intel CPUs and NVIDIA Jetson GPUs
- Fine-tune vision language models on unique overhead aerial imagery datasets
- Modify and/or invent techniques in entity, event and relationship extraction/classification, and in the area of structured text extraction from documents
What We Value
- Experience with software-only and/or hardware-aware techniques for model inference optimization on edge devices
- Background in Computer Vision Deep Learning and Object Detection in particular
- Experience with TensorRT, ONNX and other optimization frameworks such as TVM and OpenVINO
- Experience with implementing or fine-tuning innovative deep learning models in the areas of NER and structure text extraction from documents
- Background in NLP and Deep Learning
- Experience with few-shot learning techniques
- Experience tuning vision-language models such as CLIP or GLIP
- Proficiency with any of the major Deep Learning frameworks
- BS in Computer Science or related fields. Candidates are expected to be enrolled students in a graduate program (MS or PhD).
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
The estimated salary range for this position is estimated to be $9,800/month. Further note that total compensation for this position will be determined by each individual’s relevant qualifications, work experience, skills, and other factors. This estimate excludes the value of any benefits offered; and the potential future value of any long-term incentives.
Life at Palantir
We want every Palantirian to achieve their best outcomes, that’s why we celebrate individuals’ strengths, skills, and interests, from your first interview to your longterm growth, rather than rely on traditional career ladders. Paying attention to the needs of our community enables us to optimize our opportunities to grow and helps ensure many pathways to success at Palantir. Promoting health and well-being across all areas of Palantirians’ lives is just one of the ways we’re investing in our community. Learn more at Life at Palantir and note that our offerings may vary by region.
In keeping consistent with Palantir’s values and culture, we believe employees are “better together” and in-person work affords the opportunity for more creative outcomes. Therefore, we encourage employees to work from our offices to foster connectivity and innovation. Many teams do offer hybrid options (WFH a day or two a week), allowing our employees to strike the right trade-off for their personal productivity. Based on business need, there are a few roles that allow for “Remote” work on an exceptional basis. If you are applying for one of these roles, you must work from the state in which you are employed. If the posting is specified as Onsite, you are required to work from an office.
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems. Palantir does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster, EEO poster supplement and Pay Transparency Notice for additional information.