Director, Product Design
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
· Craft best-in-class digital experiences for our members, across a suite of native and web apps.
· Deliver impactful end-to-end solutions that solve member problems and move business metrics
· Champion design quality, attention to detail and focus on impact while designing experiences that best support our members financial health.
· Dive deeply into complex problem and product spaces to better understand what we are building, who we are building for and how to support designers in their work.
· Manage designers through feedback and collaborative working sessions.
· Foster a culture of career growth for designers through goal setting and regular check-ins.
· Ensure team members gain fluency in the methods of product design, and are able to support their projects in all phases from ideation through prototyping, user testing, and development.
· Define and iterate on our discovery process to ensure we’re solving the right problems with the right solutions
· Define and iterate on delivery process to improve delivery quality and speed
· Contribute to our design system, to ensure product quality and consistency across the member experience.
· Quickly iterate to deliver innovative experiences that meet and exceed business goals and objectives.
· Identify opportunities to bring teams closer and improve collaboration.
· Advocate for design quality and lead design QA efforts
· Work with cross-functional leaders to set vision, define strategy, set quarterly goals, and build roadmaps.
- Typically requires a minimum of 12 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. With a minimum of 6 years of experience directly managing product designers working on iOS/Android and web applications.
- Experience leading efforts to build and improve the culture of teams and cross-functional partnership
- Highly empathic manager who leads with compassion and is able to influence partners and teams
- Expert in design thinking, product research, user analysis, ideation, design, testing, and validation for highly complex work
- Ability to make sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, to influence thinking and decision making with teams, stakeholders, and cross-functional partners
- Compassion for our members and the importance of making financial health accessible by anyone, especially those who need it most.
- Expertise with Figma (mandatory) and all aspects of the mobile and web product lifecycle
- Experience as an essential partner in a working team with product managers and engineers
- Experience creating design solutions within the financial technology space preferred.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).