Head of Financial Planning & Analysis
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
- Manage and direct all aspects of the company’s annual and long-range financial planning and budgeting process and drive improvements in efficiency, accuracy, timeliness, and transparency.
- Develop and implement policies, processes, and systems to build the infrastructure necessary to support a high-growth organization
- Develop and lead a department-level planning process which aligns and prioritizes resources with strategic objectives.
- Develop and manage a guidance model to accurately provide guidance as part of the public company quarterly earnings process. Lead the monthly P&L review process that includes explaining variances to plan, providing insight on current and expected trends, tracking progress against key business initiatives, and identifying areas of risk and opportunities.
- Direct the preparation of reforecasts each month that project performance of the business over the next three years.
- Conduct financial cost/benefit analyses to help evaluate and prioritize growth and other strategic initiatives and support timely decision making by the business.
- Develop department-level and business-wide KPI’s to be used for performance monitoring and goal setting.
- Provide the SVP of Finance and the rest of the executive team with key business insights and strategic recommendations for the business.
- Provide rapid answers to the SVP of Finance and executive team questions to support timely decision making.
- Oversee the timely production of daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly financial and KPI reports, including preparation of materials for the Board of Directors.
- Conduct industry and competitor analysis to develop operational and financial benchmarks.
- Support investor relations and fund-raising initiatives through the preparation of investor/lender decks and other presentation materials.
- Ensure that all key FP&A systems, modules, and procedures are well documented, consistent with public company SOX requirements.
- Develop and update a technological road map for the department and drive increased use of automation and A.I.-driven, data science tools
- Manage the FP&A team in the above activities in Oportun’s remote-first work environment. This includes designing and adapting the organizational structure of the department, managing priorities, motivating, training, and developing staff in addition to recruiting, training, and retaining top tier talent and making any necessary staffing changes to deliver excellence.
- Build out an FP&A capability in Oportun’s India development center to shorten operational cycle times and in Oportun’s Mexico subsidiary to reduce costs
- 10+ years of increasing levels of responsibility and leadership in Financial Planning & Analysis in the financial services industry.
- Rock solid technical knowledge of finance.
- Experience modeling consumer loan and credit card receivables.
- Highly proficient at creating elegant, efficient, and effective financial models, budgets, and reports and enthusiastic to train others to do the same.
- Excellent ability to establish effective working relationships with P&L managers across the Company.
- Skilled at persuading and influencing a broad spectrum of constituents at all levels, including executive management.
- Hands-on leadership style with strong people development skills, including the ability to motivate, recruit, develop and retain high potential people.
- Experienced and skilled at designing organizations and processes to be more efficient, including through the implementation of technology and automation
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills. Ability to analyze complex business problems and make sound business decisions.
- Exceptional presentation and writing skills and the ability to convey a message that is understandable and relevant, linking business issues, financial results, and strategy.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills. Experience working with BI and reporting tools. Knowledge of data warehouse / data mining tools a plus.
- Exceptional project management skills. Ability to be exacting, thorough and attentive to detail, while still meeting deadlines.
- Highly motivated, pro-active leader, who is willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, or other analytical area of study. MBA or CFA strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in financial services and/or fin-tech industry preferred.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $170,000-$270,000.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects a national minimum and maximum range for new hire salaries for this position. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, such as job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range that meets your criteria during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation range listed in this posting reflects only the base salary for this position and does not include other compensation elements or benefits.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).
Something looks off?