Senior Engineering Manager
Portland, OR, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
OpenGov is home to an exceptional team - passionate about our mission to power more effective and accountable government. By bringing the OpenGov Cloud to our nation's state and local government, we’re transforming communities so they can thrive!
Imagine yourself being able to help small business owners open their doors faster, ensuring our tax dollars are accounted for, creating safer infrastructure, modernizing the permitting process, and assisting with disaster recovery. The work you do here every day has a meaningful impact on people's lives!
🌟 OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes America's Best Startup Employer. OpenGov is a high growth, late stage venture backed startup with investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective. Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world). 🌟
Join our smart, fun, and humble team to experience the most rewarding career of your life!
OpenGov is seeking an experienced and dynamic Senior Manager to lead our Reporting Platform team.
OpenGov is embarking on a transformative journey to elevate and empower our application-level data analytics. We are seeking a visionary Senior Manager to lead our Reporting team with strong technical leadership. As a seasoned professional with a robust technical background, you will embark on a mission to shape the future of data analytics at OpenGov. Your mandate will be to build and lead a high-performing team of engineers dedicated to crafting cutting-edge embeddable data analytics solutions.
In this pivotal role, you will be at the forefront of revolutionizing in-app data insights and reporting across a spectrum of OpenGov application suites. The tools your team develops will not merely meet industry standards; they will redefine the benchmarks for excellence, ushering unparalleled market differentiation for our applications. Join us as we push the boundaries of what's possible, setting a new standard for innovation in the realm of reporting platforms.
Strategic Technical Leadership:
• Develop and articulate a strategic vision for the Reporting team, emphasizing technical excellence and innovation aligned with OpenGov's mission.
• Lead and mentor a skilled team in the development of embeddable data analytics tools for in-app reporting, setting high standards for technical performance.
Team Development with Technical Focus:
• Recruit, manage, and develop a team of software development tech leads, frontend, and backend engineers with a strong emphasis on technical expertise in reporting tools.
• Collaborate with product, design, and architecture teams to design and deliver new features, ensuring a deep understanding of the technical intricacies of reporting solutions.
Technical Collaboration and Integration:
• Foster collaboration with application suite teams to seamlessly integrate reporting tools into various OpenGov applications, emphasizing technical synergies.
• Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to understand reporting needs and align technical services with business objectives.
• Collaborate with external vendors to drive current and future product needs and own the technical relationship.
Hands-On Technical Expertise:
• Utilize your hands-on development experience to guide the team in building high-quality, customizable reporting solutions, emphasizing technical innovation.
• Stay updated on industry trends, leveraging third-party reporting solutions, and customizing them for OpenGov's unique technical requirements.
Technical Quality Assurance:
• Implement robust technical quality assurance processes to ensure the accuracy and reliability of reporting tools, emphasizing technical excellence in data integrity and visualization.
Technical Stakeholder Management:
• Engage with application suite leaders to understand migration plans and ensure smooth integration with centralized platform services, emphasizing technical alignment.
• Act as a customer-focused leader, proactively addressing client needs from a technical standpoint and enhancing the overall technical user experience.
• Bachelor's/Master's degree in a computer science-related discipline.
• 10+ years of professional experience in software development and delivery, specifically in product engineering companies and in high-growth startups.
• 5+ years in management of high-performing engineering teams, with a proven track record of building, growing, scaling, and engaging the engineering organization to meet customer growth
• A strong work culture of cross-team collaboration across the organization with Product and Design as well as business stakeholders in go-to-market teams
• Experience in leading large-scale, multi-tenant, and mission-critical enterprise software technology transformations.
• Hands-on experience with all aspects of software development, including development, quality, deployment, monitoring, and operations
• Demonstrated experience in managing external vendor relationships and forming strategic partnerships to enhance technical capabilities.
• Proven experience in cloud-native software delivery, including containerization.
• Strong understanding of databases and data platforms, including their architecture and integration with reporting solutions
• Strong background in web-based technologies and cloud knowledge (AWS, Azure, GCP).
• Familiarity with DevOps tools (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins) and agile practices.
Nice to Have:
• Knowledge of User and Identity Management systems.
• Experience building mission-critical transactional systems.
• Familiarity with ERP or similar systems.
• Understanding of GAAP accounting and financial reporting.
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, late stage venture backed startup, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Awarded Top 25 Cloud Companies to Work For, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, annual wellness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.