Associate General Counsel
About the Role
As the Associate General Counsel, you'll be a pivotal force in guiding our company through diverse legal landscapes, from internet and e-commerce law to international operations. Joining a small yet dynamic legal team, you'll wield your expertise in commercial transactions, privacy, intellectual property, and regulatory compliance to influence our internet platform and broader business operations. Your role extends beyond legal counsel – collaborating closely with cross-functional teams, you'll leverage your strong interpersonal skills, business judgment, and strategic thinking to own complex projects and serve as a crucial legal resource, leaving an indelible mark on our organization.
What You’ll Do
- Respond promptly and effectively to legal issues and requests from internal functions.
- Advise various teams with respect to laws and regulations applicable to the company’s business and platform and assist teams in evaluating legal risks.
- Provide advice with respect to privacy and intellectual property matters.
- Oversee outside counsel in connection with litigation and disputes involving the company.
- Provide advice to the human resources department with respect to employment law matters.
- Assist the company in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Assist in training employees on legal issues and company policies.
- Handle additional projects as needed.
What We’re Looking For
- 10-12 years of relevant legal experience with ability to work both independently and with a team, including a minimum of 3 years in-house experience.
- Experience working on class action litigation and consumer protection issues.
- Proven experience communicating complex and nuanced legal issues using common sense language that is both approachable and easy to.
- Excellent written and verbal language skills are required.
- Significant experience providing counsel to e-commerce companies with products or services offered to consumers.
- Experience counseling companies with international operations is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking and work ethic and must be dynamic and team oriented.
- Ability to work efficiently with cross-functional teams and manage numerous complex projects simultaneously under tight deadline pressure.
- Experience working on domestic and international regulatory matters
- Familiarity with U.S. and international privacy laws and regulations is a plus.
- A track record of taking the law seriously but not yourself.
We are a San Francisco based company founded in 2003. Our mission is simple: we help people. We have democratized professional services by connecting customers with verified and vetted Experts who provide reliable answers at any hour and on any budget. JustAnswer members enjoy round-the-clock access to 12,000+ doctors, lawyers, tech support, mechanics, vets, home repair pros, and more. In the last 20 years, we have helped 22 million customers in 196 countries by answering more than 25 million questions.
Why Join the Team
With 1,000+ employees, we are growing at an amazing pace. Our hiring criteria: Smart. Fun. Get things done. We love what we do and celebrate our success together, best of all, you get to work at a hot company that’s (drum roll, please) profitable!
Our JustAnswer Promise
We strive together to make the world a better place, one answer at a time. JustAnswer's mission is to help people. We do this by connecting our members with verified Experts to help answer life's questions and solve problems. It’s not every day in your life that you get to be a part of a simple yet powerful mission. We pride ourselves in doing things the JA Way.
- Data driven: Data decides, not egos
- Courageous: We take risks and challenge the status quo
- Innovative: We're constantly learning, creating, and adapting
- Lean: We focus on customers, using lean testing to learn how to serve them best
- Humble: Past success is not a guarantee of future success
If these things matter to you, come join the team here at JustAnswer!
Perks and Benefits
- Fully Remote Work Environment
- Competitive Pay
- United Healthcare PPO, Kaiser
- FSA and HSA options, including Dependent Care Spending
- Dental & Vision
- Employer paid Long & Short - Term Disability
- Employer paid life insurance
- $75 monthly Remote-Work stipend
- $360 annual Wellness stipend
- $200 per year for registration fees for fitness events, races, and marathons
- Monthly snack boxes delivered to your home
- Flexible time off
- 11 company holidays
- 401k with company matching
- Paid parental leave
- Charitable donation matching
- JustAnswer subscription with access to 12,000 experts in over 700 categories
And let's not forget having fun! Our Minister of Fun organizes weekly pop-up lotteries for prizes, monthly virtual bingo, trivia competitions, photo contests, puzzles, virtual mixed-team lunches, and spirited company-wide challenges!
Remote From these States
California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, West Virginia
JustAnswer will provide pay transparency information upon application to those in qualifying jurisdictions.
Our Commitment to Diversity
At JustAnswer, we embrace workplace diversity. We believe that diversity drives richer insights, fuels innovation, and creates better outcomes. We are committed to attracting and developing an engaged and inclusive workforce. Team members from diverse backgrounds and unique perspectives are crucial to the JustAnswer mission of helping all people. Individuals seeking career opportunities at JustAnswer are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status under all applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.