Staff Data Engineer
Iterable is the top-rated AI-powered customer engagement platform that helps organizations like Redfin, Priceline, Calm, and Box to activate customers with joyful interactions at scale. With Iterable, organizations drive high growth with individualized, harmonized and dynamic communications that engage customers throughout the entire lifecycle at the right time. Iterable’s data engine, ease of use, and flexible and open architecture makes it the best platform to close the data activation gap by bringing together customer data, ability to design the experiences, deliver them and optimize them. All in one platform. We’ve surpassed $150M in ARR and have raised more than $230M from top-tier investors like Index Ventures, Viking, and CRV. Nearly 1200 companies from over 50 countries around the world rely on us to captivate their many millions of users.
Iterable helps brands unlock growth in the digital era by enabling joyful customer experiences with individualized communications based real-time behavioral data, harmonized cross-channel communications based on customer lifecycle, and dynamic always-on journeys that adapt to customer signals. Our powerful customer communication platform helps marketers manage end-to-end customer engagement programs with enterprise-grade security, compliance and controls for their customers.
Iterable’s momentum grows daily and there has never been a more exciting time to join the team! We’ve been recognized as one of the Best Places to Work - SF for the past five years, recognized as one of Inc’s Best Workplaces and Fastest Growing Companies, and we were recognized on Forbes’ list of America’s Best Startup Employers in 2022. Notably, Iterable has also been listed on Wealthfront’s Career Launching Companies List and has held a top 10 ranking on the Top 25 Companies Where Women Want to Work.
We have a global presence with offices in San Francisco, New York, Denver, and London, and recently expanded our operations to Australia and New Zealand. Iterable’s reach extends worldwide, and we have remote employees across the globe. As we scale, we continue to live by our core four, founding values - Trust, Growth Mindset, Balance, and Humility. To understand the Iterable story, and learn more about our mission, explore our Culture and About Us page.
How you will make an impact:
As a Staff Data Engineer at Iterable, you'll be leading and supporting projects to launch new data pipelines, and machine learning products, and support the predictive features in our core platform.
We serve a diverse roster of companies of all sizes, spanning many different industries. This offers a rare opportunity to work with rich datasets that are growing very rapidly in scale and variety. You will be building end-to-end data pipelines and Machine Learning systems, and have autonomy to design and build the systems and models that power our ML products. You’ll also get to influence the decisions and policies we adopt as a company in this exciting era of AI.
One of our core values is a growth mindset, and Iterable is a company where everyone can grow. If this is a role that excites you, please do apply, as we value applicants for the skills they bring beyond a job description.
How you will make a difference:
- Own the Spark pipelines at the core of our ML platform in Databricks and optimize for scale, performance, and cost
- Determine the best way to handle Iterable’s unique data model, including the intricacies of our customer’s unstructured data
- Design end-to-end machine learning systems, including data acquisition, data cleaning, data models, model training, model serving, and evaluation
- Build and own the batch and real-time feature stores that house our ML models
- Work closely with the Iterable engineering team to improve our machine learning infrastructure and data quality
- Build, evaluate, and integrate new models that add intelligence to our core product
- Improve our model performance tracking system
- Collaborate with leadership, senior teammates, and product managers to create product and technical roadmaps for features and products as part of Iterable AI
We are looking for people who have:
- Data expertise: You have built and managed highly scalable data processing solutions (e.g. Spark, Flink), data lakes or warehouses (e.g. Databricks, Snowflake), authored queries (SQL), used workflow management (e.g. Airflow), and have experience maintaining the infra that supports these. You’ve tackled problems involving unstructured data in big data systems.
- Experience building and scaling backend systems: You understand how different parts of the system work together, from data model to user interface, and have an understanding of distributed computing. You have a strong understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms. Extensive experience with Scala or Python, with a preference for Scala competency.
- Understanding of ML Platform Tech Stack: Demonstrated expertise in how data flows to and from a machine learning tech platform. Knowledge of statistics, and modern and classic machine learning techniques.
- Empathetic Communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you're explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. You assume the best intentions from your teammates and engage thoughtfully with other perspectives.
- Experience building and supporting complex and modern end-to-end ML systems, like LLM pipelines
- AWS experience
- Experience in a SaaS environment
- Experience with Akka libraries, especially Akka streams
- Experience with IaC (Terraform preferred)
- Exposure to marketing technology
Perks & Benefits:
- Paid parental leave
- Competitive salaries, meaningful equity, & 401(k) plan
- Medical, dental, vision, & life insurance
- Balance Days (additional paid holidays)
- Fertility & Adoption Assistance
- Paid Sabbatical
- Flexible PTO
- Monthly Employee Wellness allowance
- Monthly Professional Development allowance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Complete laptop workstation
The US base salary range for this position at the start of employment is $149,000 - $230,000. Within this range, individual pay is determined by specific US work location, as well as additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, relevant education or training, and internal equity considerations.
Please note that the range listed above reflects only base salary. The total compensation package includes variable pay (where applicable), equity, plus a range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and financial. In addition, we offer perks such as generous stipends for health & fitness and learning & development, among others.
Iterable is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Iterable does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Iterable also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Iterable will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.