Customer Support Specialist
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
As a Customer Support Specialist at Human Interest, you are the frontline face of the company. On a daily basis, you demonstrate your passion for helping customers maximize our retirement savings platform. You love to solve problems and are energized by challenges and the reward that comes with solving them. Customer Support Specialists benefit from a developed and defined customer support career ladder which includes opportunities to grow into other roles within the organization.
What you get to do every day
- Manage a steady volume of inbound customer inquiries, primarily through email and phone conversations, and chat and SMS in the near future
- Work cross-functionally with internal and external partners to solve customer issues
- Service a geographically diverse customer base
- Provide best in class customer service
- Work in a fast-paced evolving startup environment
- Manage caseload and follow up with customers as required
- Help other areas of the organization when needed
- Manage performance to company set standards and adhere to a workforce management schedule
What you bring to the role
- 1+ years of experience in a customer facing role - i.e. customer support or account management/call center experience, preferred but not required, or commensurate college experience
- Passion for serving customers
- Strong organizational skills; you are able to juggle multiple tasks with varying deadlines and stakeholders without dropping the ball
- Ability to communicate with confidence, professionalism and empathy over the phone and through email
- You remain composed in high-stress situations and convey empathy for our customers
- Meticulous attention to detail - rarely making typos and noticing discrepancies
Where you will work
- Our new office in Lindon, Utah (click to learn more!)
- Hybrid, in office 3 days per week
We accept Customer Support Specialist applications on an ongoing basis.
How you can grow your career at Human Interest
The Customer Support Specialist (CSS) role at Human Interest is an excellent entry point for someone looking to start or change their career. We do not require CSS I candidates to have 401(k) experience. Instead, we hire and train individuals who demonstrate a passion for customer success and an eagerness to learn.
Through ongoing training and upskilling, employees have the opportunity to progress through five steps of the CSS role. While each employee's trajectory is individualized, someone can easily progress through each step in an average of 3-4 months. Each new step brings with it increasing responsibility, a better understanding of 401(k) and our product, as well as a pay increase. After completing all five steps, Customer Support Specialists may be considered for more advanced roles such as account manager or enablement manager.
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - At Human Interest, there are a number of factors that are used to determine the appropriate pay range for each position. We take into account the cost of labor for each position in various markets across the US. The base salary for this position spans $17 - $20 per hour and represents the minimum in our lowest geographic region to a maximum in our highest geographic region. The salary that we offer to a new employee within this range is based on their location within the US, their relevant job-related skills, and experience. At Human Interest, base salary is one component of the overall Total Rewards package. Depending on the position, additional compensation components such as bonus, commission, and equity may be offered. All of our employees are offered a robust suite of physical, financial and mental wellness benefits.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Health Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures