Manager, Technical Program Management
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
As a Manager of Technical Program Management, you will serve as a key thought partner to the Human Interest Technology Leadership Team and be responsible for leading the newest team in our org, our centralized team of Technical Program Managers (TPMs). Human Interest is on a mission to solve the retirement savings crisis in America by leveraging software and the internet to make 401(k) affordable and accessible to everyone. To do that, our TPMs play a critical “grease & glue” role, amplifying the productivity & impact of our tech teams, and driving complex, cross-functional engineering initiatives. You will evolve & grow this nascent organization through excellent communication, a passion for delivering great products, and a knack for converting complex problems into well run programs. You'll evangelize the TPM team vision, build trust among other tech leaders, coach & mentor your team, and constantly raise the bar for talent & performance to grow the impact & influence of your team.
What you get to do every day
- Establish the TPM team to take a strong leadership position in engineering. This is a ‘ground-up’ opportunity to pioneer the TPM function as a new role within our Tech Org and build a healthy, scalable, growth-oriented, highly-leveraged TPM organization.
- Lead and inspire this centralized team of distributed TPMs to drive complex, cross-functional engineering initiatives across domains.
- Drive alignment of Engineering & Product priorities by partnering closely with other leaders throughout the company.
- Lead the TPM team in their role to improve Product and Engineering overall by streamlining planning processes, simplifying execution, managing objective key results (OKRs) and releasing on time.
- Ensure the team is driving technical clarity throughout the Tech Org and with key stakeholders beyond Tech. This will include communication of progress against goals & project status but also include evangelization of the Tech Org’s mission, vision & roadmaps.
- Model technical fearlessness in tackling hard problems in a blameless culture focused on learning through experience.
What you bring to the role
- 7+ years of experience managing technical projects in a software engineering domain.
- 2+ years of experience managing teams within technical program management or equivalent roles.
- Previous experience in software (either as an engineer or manager) that enables you to participate in and contribute to technical discussions with engineering teams.
- Strong leadership skills: Natural sense of ownership with a continuous improvement mindset. Belief that growth is a lifelong process without a conclusion.
- Ability to create conditions in which the team feels comfortable and capable of working despite ambiguity.
- Experience driving business impact by crafting, executing, and delivering against a product roadmap.
- Strong ability to build relationships, collaborate with and influence teams across boundaries.
- Outstanding business judgment, and excellent project management, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent written & verbal communication abilities, and a passion for building relationships across the organization, evangelizing the team and company vision, influencing and building consensus.
- Experience working in a startup environment is strongly desired, ideally with hyper growth experience.
- Nice to have: a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or related field.
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - The range target for the role seniority described in this job description is $185,000 - $205,000. Final offer amounts depend on multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise, geographic location, compensation/equity mix, and market data. This position may also be eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards, short-term incentives, or sales compensation.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Health Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures
Something looks off?