Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
As an engineering organization, we seek to redefine the retirement services space with software that drives toward an effortless, efficient, scalable, and highly reliable cloud based experience.
- Value continuous improvement - we care about documentation, security, durability, not just throwing features over the wall.
- Help each other be better engineers - we leave things better than we found it.
- Aspire to collaborate seamlessly - we ensure our software is improving the customer experience.
As a member of the Core Backend team, you will get to help build out our next generation horizontally scalable financial engine. You will collaborate with domain experts to design, build, test, and own systems and processes for servicing 401(k) plans and making our customers happy. As reliability and performance are key to earning our customers’ trust, you will build robust systems that are observable, maintainable, and scalable. Joining our team requires passion for ownership - after all, this is what enables our users’ success.
You are passionate about building highly scalable transaction processing and automation engines. You thrive on building efficient and horizontally scalable software platforms. You are knowledgeable about backend software development, cloud infrastructure, performance analysis, and scalable database technologies (both SQL and Nosql). You are a highly collaborative team player who is willing to both learn from as well as coach your teammates. You are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
What you get to do every day
- Build and maintain business-critical software to process and record customers' retirement savings
- Improve complex processes and systems to make them more robust, higher performance and require less human intervention
- Collaborate with other engineers and stakeholders to share knowledge and build expertise
- Write clean, high-quality code and tests while keeping the system fast and reliable
- Develop and analyze monitors and tests to assess performance, scalability and reliability
- Develop ownership over critical retirement workflows and domains
- Make informed engineering tradeoff decisions
- Delight internal and external stakeholders
- Participate in development life cycle activities like analysis, design, coding, testing and production release
What you bring to the role
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience building and maintaining backend software
- Experience building scalable backend technologies
- Experience scaling database platforms (Nosql, SQL)
- Strong desire to learn, exchange feedback and grow - from our internal legacy and futuristic technical designs, to retirement domains and workflows that are critical for our business.
- Ability to think creatively, and share knowledge with others
- Ability to write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability
- Proactive and empathetic mindset - you love to roll up your sleeves to fix problems for our customers
- Completed formal training in computer science related discipline (Bachelors or Masters preferred)
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - The salary range target for the role seniority described in this job description is $148,000 - $210,000. Final offer amounts depend on multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise, geographic location, compensation/equity mix, and market data. This position may also be eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards, short-term incentives, or sales compensation.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Heath Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures
Something looks off?