Senior Engineering Manager, Payroll Experiences
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Payroll serves as Gusto's core product, used by each of our 300,000+ customers and contributing significantly to our annual recurring revenue of over $500,000,000. Although we hold the leading market position for SMBs in the US, the market remains highly fragmented, with an estimated 90% still in need of a superior solution.
Gusto is looking for a Senior Engineering leader to drive and execute on the cross-functional strategy for our Payroll Experiences team, a team of more than 25 people across Engineering, Product Management, Design, and Data Science. This role will be empowered by our Head of Engineering, Payroll Experiences and Time and will play a critical role in how we design, build and execute the roadmap and vision of our Payroll product.
As a key member of Gusto's engineering leadership team, your role will encompass building a dynamic team and contributing to build a thriving business. You will also be responsible for working collaboratively with other cross-functional teams and leaders to build a suite of products that will be adored by our customers while setting industry benchmarks.
If you are a customer-centric builder who thrives on making a substantial impact within a high-growth organization, we would be thrilled to hear from you!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Lead Gusto’s Payroll Experiences engineering team, including the recruitment, hiring, and empowerment of a world-class team.
- Work cross functionally with design leadership and product management leadership to build and drive Gusto’s Payroll product vision and strategy
- Responsible for driving the development of product and core platform in a fast paced, start-up environment
- Providing technical leadership in defining the product and platform solutions
- Understand customer pain points, devise solutions, and then iterate through prototyping and frequent, successful product launches.
- Empowering a team of senior engineers, operating in architects capacity and also engineering people empowerers (managers, creating alignment, clarity, high morale, driving quick but informed decision making, and helping them get unblocked
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 10+ years software engineering experience
- Managed highly distributed engineering teams for a minimum of 5 years and a minimum of 2 years leading other engineering managers
- Experience in scaling engineering organizations with a focus on individual and team development
- Ability to balance business needs, development for multiple product lines, and shipping high quality solutions
- Experience in highly cross-functional environments for highly complex products preferred.
- Strong technical acumen with the ability to understand and debate tradeoffs and approaches to building scalable architecture and data models A high standard, systems-first approach, and strong point of view for the user experience informed by customer empathy, research, data, and customer support insights
- Strong product opinions, including the ability to tell a story about where we’re going that is clear and inspiring, and work with teams to map dependencies, risks, and tradeoffs to increase velocity and make the vision real
- Sharp skills as a builder — even as you’ve become a strategic leader, you are fundamentally a builder who can jump into problem solving with team members when they need the support
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $193,000 - $231,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $228,000 - $272,000 for San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. Employees who are based in those locations will be expected to work from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto's subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you require assistance in filling out a Gusto job application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.