Head of Legal Privacy
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto is looking for a senior leader to drive and execute on the cross-functional strategy for our Privacy Program. Gusto customers trust us with highly-sensitive, personally identifiable information (PII) and protected health information (PHI) when they sign up for or use our services. As a result, safeguarding our customers’ data privacy is a top consideration in everything we do here at Gusto. This person will play a critical leadership role in how we design, build and drive internal adoption of our Privacy Program here at Gusto.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Drive the cross-functional strategy and execution for our Privacy Program and hold accountability across aligned partner teams.
- Build and scale our domestic and global Privacy Program to comply with applicable laws and regulations, including CCPA/CPRA, GLBA, HIPAA-HITECH, and GDPR.
- Drive broader Gusto communication of vision, strategy, expectations, and stakeholder alignment at every altitude of leadership, including executives.
- Get in the weeds with technical leaders across Security & IT, Product, Engineering, Design, and Data to discuss trade offs, define the optimal path, and help advance great decisions.
- Empower our privacy legal team, create alignment, clarity, high morale, drive quick but informed decision making, and help them get unblocked.
- Establish and promote Privacy by Design within product development.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- J.D. from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law.
- 10+ years of relevant privacy experience (preferably including at a late-stage, private and/or public SaaS company)
- 4+ years of experience leading a privacy team or privacy function.
- Experience developing and empowering high-performing teams.
- Demonstrated experience and a strong point of view on scaling privacy programs with the help of cross-functional teams in a technology-first and risk-adjusted way.
- Experience building privacy programs that include compliance with state, federal and international privacy laws.
- A long view and strong opinion on where we’re going and what it will take to get there as one Gusto
- Exemplary communication skills and proven ability to educate, inspire, and drive commitment cross-functionally to build and scale a privacy program, particularly with Security & IT, Product, Design, Engineering, Data, Customer Support, and Business Technology teams.
- Proven ability to liaise with executives, the Board, regulatory authorities and external stakeholders.
Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $230,000 - $277,000/year. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including candidate location, experience and expertise and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. Employees who are based in those locations will be expected to work from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto's subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you require assistance in filling out a Gusto job application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.