Head of Product Management, Symmetry
Symmetry Software is now part of Gusto. Symmetry is the payroll infrastructure for software & payroll platforms powering the paychecks of over 64 million workers each year. Our fully integrated suite of payroll tax APIs and software tools allows companies to solve tax compliance issues and build applications across the entirety of the payroll process.
We are looking for an experienced Product leader to start our Product organization. Our APIs and SDKs are the foundation of our business. As the Head of Product, you’ll set, develop and execute our Product roadmap while building capabilities for Symmetry’s new and future API products. Your key cross-functional partners will be our Engineering, Sales, Client Experience, and Finance leaders along and reporting directly to our CEO. You’ll devise strategies, plans, budgets, and be accountable for impact alongside them, so evidence-based decision-making and influential leadership will both be key. You’ll be building new capabilities and teams for Symmetry, so expert organizational design and planning is required.
If you are a builder of API products who thrives on making a major business impact at a high-growth company, we would love to hear from you!
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Strategic Product definition
- Identify emerging technologies and industry trends; bring your fresh perspective to how we can disrupt the payroll infrastructure landscape
- Conduct and use customer research to inform product strategy and roadmap; be the champion of our customer
- Define and facilitate alignment on a compelling product vision and strategy, including new API-first components and a vision for existing product portfolio
- Define, identify, and build a process to monitor on key product usage and usage success metrics; drive improvements in these metrics over time
- Build a Product discipline and team
- Establish a small and scrappy Product organization. Hire, empower, and retain the best Product talent
- Manage and iterate how we launch products
- Build efficient, effective, and right-sized product operations (e.g., customer feedback loops)
- Cross-functional execution
- Partner with our CEO, Engineering, Sales, Marketing, and Customer Experience to create and execute on our Product roadmap
- Set priorities and shape focus for the product and engineering team to the benefit of our customer and company goals
- Foster a culture of rapid learning cycles on the team
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 10+ years of hands-on product management experience in both mature products and greenfield opportunities.
- Passionate about empowerment: 5+ years experience of attracting and developing representative talent and inclusive teams, and shaping Product Managers & Designers into high performing teams.
- Technical acumen: You’ve worked on API and SaaS products that are built for developers.
- Bias for action: Bring grit, a willingness to roll up your sleeves, and be a hands-on help to your team, not just a facilitator. Be entrepreneurial, driven, passionate about our mission, and have deep empathy for our clients.
- You’re a builder with an ownership mentality: Have a proven track record of building API products in rapidly scaling companies. You have experience building 0-1 products and product teams. You are a resourceful leader, not reliant.
- You set the direction, and bring teams along: You’re able to combine client feedback, market opportunities, and build compelling and bold product vision and strategy for your cross-functional partners and team. Evangelizing innovation.
- Customer obsessed mindset: You build products that customers love. You’re constantly thinking about how to solve customer pain points. You enjoy engaging with customers and users and iterating on ways to validate we are building what they need.
- You envision the future: You identify emerging technologies and industry trends, build business cases, and define product vision and strategy.
- Impeccable execution: You have a track record of executing and delivering high quality work against complexities and limited resources. You’re able to partner strongly with cross-functional teams to drive results. Other leaders and teammates love collaborating with you.
- Bonus: You have prior payroll or fintech experience.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $182,000/yr to $247,000/yr in Scottsdale & most remote locations, and $214,000/yr to $290,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home with us.
Our company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Our company considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Something looks off?