Senior DevOps Engineer
Gladly is the only customer service software built around people, not tickets. Gladly applies AI differently, to help brands deliver radically personal customer service at scale, enabling consumers to help themselves and turning customer service agents into heroes by making them more productive. Every conversation starts with a real-time understanding of the customer. With every channel built-in – voice, email, SMS, chat, social messaging, self-service – companies have one, lifelong conversation stream with their customers. The world’s most loved brands including Allbirds, Bombas, Crate & Barrel, Ulta Beauty, and Warby Parker leverage Gladly to build lifelong loyal customers.
Our team loves working at Gladly because of its people, continuous growth opportunities, all in commitment to DEIB, collaboration, and culture.
About this role:
As our Senior DevOps Engineer you will develop and maintain the platform used to run our SaaS product in the cloud. The goal is to build a platform with world class scalability, redundancy, and ease of operation. You’ll be involved in making critical decisions that will have a far reaching impact on our technology stack. The ideal individual will have experience working with and setting best practices for at least one IaaS such as AWS, and has worked with virtualized/containerized systems in distributed frameworks, such as Kubernetes, in production environments.
About the Team:
We’re small, so every person on the team can make a big impact. We're a collaborative team with a focus on effective engineering; we’re not just hacking to meet deadlines. Our environment promotes inclusion, innovation, mutual respect, and learning from each other. We offer everyone a wide range of responsibility, learning as we grow. Bring your best abilities to the table to help us solve challenging engineering problems: cloud infrastructure, creating the best of user experiences, building robust, scalable, reliable architecture. If your goals include diving into Devops projects you haven’t tried before and building new skills, this is the place to do it. We encourage taking on projects outside your comfort zone.
What You'll Do:
Our system is a microservice architecture built primarily in Go and Node/React with Kafka used as a message bus. Services are deployed as Docker containers running under Kubernetes on AWS. We need your help to develop our platform and tools to power an operations framework for deploying and maintaining our services so that they scale across AWS and beyond.
- Build a platform for enabling engineers to deploy services with zero downtime, complete with monitoring, SLAs and alerting
- Build and maintain a cloud infrastructure that is highly available across multiple regions
- Build and operate foundational infrastructure components of a distributed platform, such as service discovery
- Design and propose solutions to solve internal customer needs
- Actively participate and engage the team during design reviews
- Improve software delivery through increased automation
Technologies we use:
- Github Actions
- Elastic Search
- Postgres / Aurora
Applications and tools:
- Golang, Node.js, Python
What You’ll Bring To The Team
- 5+ years DevOps Engineering experience
- Software development experience in at least 1 high level language (Python, Ruby, ...) OR Systems administration experience for a cloud-based, distributed platform
- Experience with cloud native applications design and implementation patterns
- Experience with cloud infrastructure cost and performance optimization
- Strong experience operating a public/private cloud infrastructure
- Strong experience with infrastructure as code tools (Terraform/CloudFormation etc...)
- Ability to translate high level goals and objectives to work items and manage tasks autonomously
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience implementing DevOps Engineering best practices
- Commitment to securing customer and Gladly confidential information, including proactive engagement with Gladly co-workers to raise awareness of potential security issues, concerns, or areas of improvement.
Research has shown that individuals from marginalized groups are less likely to apply to jobs where they don't meet 100% of the criteria. Gladly values diversity of experience, so if you believe you have the right skill set, we welcome you to apply - even if you don't check every box in the job description. We're committed to an inclusive workplace and would love to see if you could be the next great addition to our team.
$158,000 to $186,000 per annum base salary + equity + benefits
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Working at Gladly:
Putting people first is kind of our thing. Not only is it at the core of our product, but shapes our overall culture at Gladly—from our approach to hiring, to our benefits, and how we think about our place in the community.
We have embraced remote work and make it easy for our team to work from anywhere, but we also invest in opportunities to get the teams together in person regularly.
We have a strong work ethic, but value life outside of work, too.
- We win as one team: We believe the most important focus for us as a team is making the company successful.
- We are successful when our customers succeed: We are committed to understanding the needs and expectations of our customers. We provide an exceptional product along with expertise and insight to help achieve their goals.
- We believe in challenging the status quo: We know that our greatest strength is our ability to cultivate a growth mindset focused on reinventing customer service.
- We value underdog grit: Success isn't always about having the most resources or the most experience; it's about having the determination and grit to keep pushing forward especially when it’s hard.
- We strive to make every shot count: We will never have enough “shots on goal” so we strive to make every project, feature, customer presentation, the best it can be.
- We embrace transparency: We know the best outcomes come from collaboration followed by communication of and commitment to the decision.
Our focus is on people and that starts with our employees. As an employee you can count on:
- Competitive salaries, stock options
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Generous paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Home office stipends
Founded in 2014 by a team of repeat entrepreneurs with multiple successful exits, Gladly is reinventing customer service. By focusing on customers instead of tickets, we are disrupting a $70B market and are proud to count Crate and Barrel, Warby Parker and many other innovative brands as customers. Gladly has raised over $110M from Greylock Partners, NEA, GGV Capital, Glynn Capital and JetBlue Tech Ventures.
Gladly has made the decision to become a fully distributed company, allowing employees to live anywhere in the United States, and candidates to come from nearly any geographical region. That said, we also highly value our collaborative and creative culture and commit to meeting in real life as a company at least once per quarter when it is safe to do so.