Site Reliability Engineer
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones.
We leverage deep technology and data science to streamline the life insurance process, making it more accessible and convenient. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes! We’ve issued billions in coverage each month and eliminated the traditional barriers, ushering the industry into the modern age. Our full-stack technology platform is the backbone of family financial health.
We make getting life insurance easier, faster and better for everyone.
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, Robert Downey Jr and others. This year, we were named on CB Insights' Global Insurtech 50 list and BuiltIn's Top 100 Midsize Companies in San Francisco. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the Role
The Ethos Site Reliability Engineering group is looking for a fellow SRE to collaborate with other teams to improve service reliability, automation, observability and improve their application maturity, reliability, and production readiness. In this role, you will create new infrastructure and support tools, help other teams debug issues, and act as advisors regarding production readiness when new services are being designed and brought online. The person in this role will exhibit good mentoring and coding skills as well as the ability to solve complex problems related to reliability. This role also requires good interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate other teams to adopt best practices concerning reliability.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to enhance the reliability and performance of applications, up to and including submitting PRs to their codebases with improvements
- Assist with automation, continuous integration, and delivery of applications and configurations
- Assist other teams with designing solid foundations and best practices around running services in production environments
- Assist other teams implementing infrastructure level dependencies
- Help other teams identify, design, and monitor proper service-level indicators (SLI) and service-level objectives (SLO)
- Design and implement cross company resilient and reliable tools, resources, infrastructure and processes
Qualifications and Skills:
- 2+ years of full time software engineering experience in relevant role (Backend SWE / SRE / DevOps / Infrastructure / Operations)
- Experienced with software engineering best practices – design patterns, code reviews, testing, etc.
- Ability to communicate technical specifications both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A strong desire to remove any toil from a system
- Preferred background in distributed systems and infrastructure
- Preferred engineering experience in TypeScript, GoLang, Python, PostgreSQL, AWS
- Preferred experience with Kubernetes and Kubernetes operators
- Preferred knowledge of CI/CD systems
- Preferred experience with: terraform, argoCD, Atlantis, GitHub actions and DataDog
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. At Ethos we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.
To learn more about what information we collect and how it may be used, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.