Staff Data Scientist
We believe that the future of the small business economy runs on data. At Enigma, we’re building a one-stop shop for data on SMBs- the single, most reliable source of data about businesses to unlock new access to capital.
By engineering better data from hundreds of public and third-party sources, we aim to tell the complete story of every business, so that companies of every size can access the financial services they need to grow and thrive. That's why financial leaders like Capital One, Truist, and many other top companies are using Enigma’s data to better serve their small business customers.
Data is at the core of Enigma’s product, making data science the beating heart of Enigma’s product. Our data scientists work together in cross-functional teams with other data scientists, as well as engineers and product managers. Your impact will be measured by the contributions you make with your team to improve the accuracy of our data and the usability and value of our product to our customers.
We are looking for someone who:
- Can translate customer goals into innovative solutions that utilize machine learning, statistics and high quality code (we use Python libraries and Spark extensively)
- Sets high standards for rigorous analysis and model development that embraces sound statistical practices in order to ensure high quality and reproducible results and
- Approaches data as a reflection of the real-world and develops repeatable strategies for validating results against ground truth
- Develops techniques to detect and explore anomalies in our data, uncover the source and address in a way that improves our product
- Thrives in high-performing, collaborative teams with fast iteration speed
What makes this job interesting?
- Technical challenge: Enigma is solving some of the hardest problems in the world related to entity resolution and pushing to make new discoveries. You will be critical to our success.
- Impact: Data science at many companies focuses on making better product development and business decisions. At Enigma, data science is the core of our actual product!
- Learning: We’re tackling problems with exciting data that don’t have obvious solutions. Every day brings new opportunities to learn about data science and our world.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Bring 6-8+ years of industry experience in statistics, experiment design and distributed machine learning
- Experience as a tech lead or manager of data scientists
- Effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences
- Have an advanced degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, etc.)
Bonus points if you:
- You have experience in credit risk modeling or extracting signal from credit card transaction data
At Enigma, we’re building the single, most reliable source of data on businesses to power the future of financial services. By engineering better data from hundreds of public and third-party sources, we aim to tell the complete story of every business, so that companies of every size can access the financial services they need to grow and thrive. Our core values – generosity, curiosity, ingenuity, & drive – guide everything we do, from how we make our most important product decisions to how we work with and support one another on a daily basis. We’re a team of curious, driven individuals with diverse backgrounds and skills, but we’re all passionate about engineering deeper understanding through data—together. If this resonates, we would love to hear from you!
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Salary Range: $180,000-$240,000
A note on salary ranges: we pride ourselves on paying competitively for our size and industry. Salary is one piece of a total Enigma compensation package that includes additional benefits and opportunities. All of our compensation packages include equity because we believe 100% of Enigma employees should have the option to purchase ownership in the company and benefit from the value we’re creating together.