Senior Database Reliability Engineer II
Founded in 2017, Dutchie is a comprehensive technology platform powering dispensary operations, while providing consumers with safe and easy access to cannabis. Dutchie aims to further support the positive societal change the cannabis industry brings to the world through wellness benefits, social justice, and empowering local communities through tax revenue. Powering thousands of dispensaries across 40+ markets throughout the United States and Canada, Dutchie is the leading technology company in the cannabis space and was named in Fast Company’s 10 Most Innovative Companies in North America and listed two years in a row on LinkedIn’s Top 50 Startups.
Dutchie has raised over $600M in funding to date, backed by D1 Capital Partners, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, DFJ Growth, Thrive Capital, Howard Schultz, Snoop Dogg’s Casa Verde Capital, Gron Ventures, members of the founding team at DoorDash, Kevin Durant’s Thirty Five Ventures, and other notable angel investors.
About This Job
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Database Reliability Engineer (DBRE) to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring the availability, reliability, and performance of our database systems. You will work closely with cross-functional teams, including software engineers, platform engineers and product architects to design, implement, and maintain robust and scalable database solutions. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in database administration, troubleshooting, and optimization.
What You'll Do...
- Design, deploy, and manage highly available and scalable database architectures for MS SQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and other database technologies.
- Monitor and optimize database performance, identifying and resolving performance bottlenecks and other issues to ensure optimal system performance.
- Develop and implement database backup and disaster recovery strategies to ensure data integrity and minimize downtime.
- Perform database capacity planning and resource utilization analysis to ensure adequate scalability and efficient resource allocation.
- Collaborate with development teams to provide guidance and support in optimizing database queries, data models, and application integration.
- Troubleshoot and resolve database-related incidents and issues, including data corruption, connectivity problems, and performance degradation.
- Implement and enforce security and access control measures to protect sensitive data.
- Proactively identify potential issues, risks, and areas for improvement in the database infrastructure and propose and implement solutions.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest database technologies, tools, and best practices, and recommend their adoption when appropriate.
- Create and implement monitoring and alerting solutions to detect and prevent issues before they impact our customers
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex issues in production environments
- Participate in on-call rotation to ensure 24/7 availability of our systems and services
- Lead and mentor junior members of the Reliability Engineering team
- Continuously identify and implement process improvements to increase efficiency and reduce risk
What You Bring...
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- 5+ years of experience in database administration and support, with a focus on MS SQL, MongoDB or PostgreSQL.
- Strong proficiency in database administration, configuration, and performance tuning for MS SQL, MongoDB or PostgreSQL.
- Solid understanding of database design principles, data modeling, and normalization.
- Experience with database backup and recovery strategies, including high availability and disaster recovery solutions.
- In-depth knowledge of database security best practices, including user access controls, encryption, and auditing.
- Proficiency in writing and optimizing complex SQL queries and familiarity with stored procedures.
- Familiarity with scripting languages (e.g., Python, PowerShell) for automating database tasks and monitoring.
- Experience with cloud-based database platforms (e.g., AWS RDS) is a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills to work effectively within a team environment.
- Relevant certifications (e.g., Microsoft Certified: Azure Database Administrator Associate) are a plus.
It's a bonus if you...
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- Experience with containerization technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools (e.g., Pulumi, Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Experience with agile development methodologies (e.g., Scrum, Kanban)
We are targeting a starting salary of $165,000 based on the intended level for this role. There may be flexibility on individual compensation packages based candidate skillet, experience, qualifications and other position-related factors
In addition to cash compensation, our total rewards package includes:
- Full medical benefits including dental and vision plans to ensure you always have the best care.
- Equity packages in the form of stock options to all employees.
- Technology (hardware, software, reading materials, etc..) allowance
- Flexible vacation and sick days
At Dutchie, we’re committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Dutchie believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.