Sr. Director, Corporate Accounting (Remote)
Every day we tackle new and exciting challenges to empower developers to build modern cloud, mobile, and edge applications that deliver a premium user experience. Couchbase delivers unmatched performance, scalability, flexibility and financial value across cloud, on premises, hybrid, mobile and edge deployments. The database market is undergoing a generational shift and is one of the largest market opportunities in enterprise software due to big trends like the need for digital transformation, acceleration to the cloud and innovation at the edge. Join Couchbase to be a part of a greater change. Here you’ll have the opportunity to learn and grow with some of the most innovative, passionate and humble individuals in the database industry.
We're looking for an accomplished and talented individual to join our growing team as a Senior Director, Corporate Accounting. The Senior Director will drive the “engine” of accounting and finance including the close cadence, enhance systems and processes, ensure effective policy and control and developing talent. Success in this role is dependent on leadership, organization, people development, process improvement, strategic execution, ability to deal with a rapidly changing business environment and communication.
This position is a People Manager role reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer.
Location: This is a remote role where this individual would be expected to come into our Santa Clara HQ office as needed. Preference will be given to candidates based in the Bay Area.
- Oversee all monthly, quarterly, and annual closing processes, including the preparation of internal and external financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Establish and maintain accounting policies, leading practices and procedures to ensure compliance at scale and high accounting quality.
- Develop and oversee effective internal controls.
- Evaluate processes and drive system implementation and enhancements including upgrades and implementation of business systems.
- Drive accounting for unusual and/or high judgment items and prepare organization for impact, including GAAP and Non-GAAP, subsequent events and new pronouncements.
- Work closely with financial planning and analysis team on reporting, budgeting and forecasting activities.
- Analyze the effect of statutory accounting practices for 10 foreign subsidiaries to ensure correct application of GAAP.
- Be a proactive liaison with external auditors (PWC) to drive completion of reviews and audits.
- Provide accounting expertise and support for potential strategic M&A transaction from pre-acquisition due diligence through post-acquisition integration.
- Drive scale of financial transaction teams, including Payroll, Travel & Expense and Accounts Payable. Drive continuous improvement of our global shared services model. Manage service level agreements.
- Support interactions and communications with the Audit Committee, senior leaders, and outside auditors on accounting issues, risks, and audit matters.
- Be a trusted business partner and advisor to various stakeholders across the business including FP&A, Legal, and Human Resources.
- Develop an agile organization focused on partnership and business needs.
- Bachelor's degree, with emphasis in accounting or finance. Master’s is plus.
- 14+ years of experience in accounting including 4+ in public accounting and 4+ management experience
- Certified Public Accounting (CPA)
- Comprehensive understanding of financial accounting and reporting under US GAAP and SEC requirements
- Strong understanding of SOX
- Deep technical knowledge in internally-developed software, commission accounting, foreign currency matters, inter-company accounting, equity accounting and other areas typical to high-growth software companies
- Hands-on experience with transactional teams, including AP, T&E and Payroll, including establishing service level agreements and building the monitoring tools
- Proven success in developing and leading a high-performing team using a collaborative management style
- Excellent planning, analysis and execution skills
- Adept at prioritization, ability to meet stringent deadlines in a fast-paced environment and demonstrated sense of urgency and should be results driven
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact and engage with all levels of the organization
- Experience in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment is preferred
- Merger & acquisition and integration accounting experience is a plus
- SaaS company background is a plus
- Generous Time Off Program - Flexibility to care for you and your family
- Wellness Benefits - A variety of world class medical plans to choose from, along with dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs*
- Financial Planning - RSU equity program*, ESPP program*, Retirement program* and Business Travel Insurance
- Career Growth - Be valued, Create value approach
- Fun Perks - A Monthly Lifestyle Spending Account credit, an ergonomic and comfortable in-office / WFH setup. Food & Snacks for in-office employees.
- And much more!