Senior Software Engineer (Search Infra)
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. Founded in 2012, we’re revolutionizing the real estate industry with our end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to seller and buyer clients.
Compass is revolutionizing the real estate industry with the first modern end-to-end platform, seamlessly connecting agents, buyers, and sellers through advanced technology. Our unique approach combines the natural intelligence of experienced real estate agents with the power of artificial intelligence and cloud-based solutions.
As one of the fastest-growing technology companies in a massive industry, we're on a mission to build an exceptional engineering team and a transformative operating platform that will redefine real estate. We're seeking talented individuals at all levels to join us as we continue to grow our team.
At Compass, we believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive community, ensuring that our place can be anyone's place. Our entrepreneurial principles spirit unites us, guiding our approach to the challenges ahead.
About the Role:
The Search Infrastructure team is at the heart of the Compass Engineering organization, driving the search capabilities across our suite of real estate tools. This team is responsible for ingesting listing data and providing it through REST APIs that serve various front-end components on our website and mobile apps. Their work encompasses everything from finding and paginating listings to sorting, clustering, and boosting search results, both in list and map views.
We're creating a cutting-edge platform to introduce numerous game-changing products and features for real estate agents. Joining the Search Infrastructure team means playing a pivotal role in enhancing an already impressive product. You'll contribute to platform development, improving search quality, enhancing accuracy, boosting performance, and optimizing costs.
This role will be based out of our New York City office.
At Compass, You Will:
- Build, develop, and scale the platform that empowers real estate professionals, buyers, and sellers.
- Become a domain expert in real estate technology, serving as an empathetic partner to our customers.
- Inspire, recruit, and mentor fellow engineers.
- Operate within a scalable engineering culture that leverages modern principles of distributed systems and automated CI/CD/testing/monitoring to drive efficiency.
What We Look For:
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with Elasticsearch/OpenSearch.
- BS or MS in CS or EE, or equivalent.
- A track record as a technical leader with cross-team impact.
- 7+ years of experience developing comprehensive, well-tested, and high-performance search applications.
- 7+ years of programming experience in languages such as Java, Python, and Go (we utilize all three at Compass).
- Expertise in engineering data ingestion pipelines that perform at scale.
- Experience designing and extending large-scale search systems, including RESTful APIs, microservice architectures, data ingestion methods, and search methodologies.
- Understanding and adherence to industry-standard best practices in software development and architecture.
- Experience utilizing data-driven approaches to reduce latencies (p99/95) from initial request to final response.
- Familiarity with AWS services, including Elasticsearch/OpenSearch, EC2, S3, Redis, Lambda, and MSK.
If you're passionate about shaping the future of real estate technology and possess the skills and experience we're seeking, we encourage you to join our dynamic team at Compass. Together, we'll continue to transform the industry.
The base pay range for this position is $130,700-$196,000 annually; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Bonuses and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of benefits. Base pay is based on market location. Minimum wage for the position will always be met.
Perks that You Need to Know About:
Participation in our incentive programs (which may include where eligible cash, equity, or commissions). Plus paid vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, marriage leave, and recharge leave; medical, tele-health, dental and vision benefits; 401(k) plan; flexible spending accounts (FSAs); commuter program; life and disability insurance; Maven (a support system for new parents); Carrot (fertility benefits); UrbanSitter (caregiver referral network); Employee Assistance Program; and pet insurance.