Member of Technical Staff - Distributed Storage
Chronosphere is the provider of the only observability platform that puts engineering organizations back in control by taming rampant data growth and cloud-native complexity, delivering increased business confidence. Teams at startups to well-known global brands in the Fortune 500 around the world trust Chronosphere to help them operate scalable, highly available and resilient applications.
Chronosphere is looking for trailblazers who are experts in their space and are passionate about creating meaningful solutions for engineers and digital businesses.
Chronosphere is a series C startup with more than $343M in funding and a $1B+ valuation. We’re a remote-first company, backed by Greylock, Lux Capital, General Atlantic, Addition and Founders Fund.
About the role
Our product is an industrial-scale software-as-a-service observability platform, and you will be designing and implementing the core of our metrics ingestion pipeline and control plane, responsible for handling hundreds of millions of writes per second. You will work on hard distributed systems and data storage problems, building a highly available storage engine where you need to optimize for every byte in memory, every disk I/O, and every network packet. The time series database is the backbone of our product, and your work will control its scalability and reliability.
- Design, implement, and test enhancements to our core metrics ingestion pipeline and control plane built on M3, using Go on Kubernetes/GCP/AWS
- Collaborate across product, design, and infrastructure to define the architectural/technical roadmap of our metrics control plane
- Level up the reliability and software quality practices within the team via direct mentorship, program development, and development infrastructure
- Build operational tooling for the code you write, and work with our cloud infrastructure team to manage your code in production
What you will achieve
In the first month, you will build a deep understanding of Chronosphere’s platform and begin contributing to the product. You will have time to learn about the space, our customer’s needs, and the underlying technology.
Within 90 days, you will have shipped several enhancements to the metrics stack and contributed to designs shaping the overall direction of the system. You will be a core contributor to internal enhancements, and will become a go-to person in one or more areas of the system.
- The ability to independently own projects from inception to delivery (i.e. plan and gather requirements, collaborate with Product)
- Pre-existing experience on how to build high scale systems and experience with building sophisticated application services
- A passion for growing and up-leveling your peers, and have pre-existing mentoring experience and a nuanced view around how to help junior engineers grow
- Deep background in distributed systems or storage layer programming. You will be working on low level problems such as query engine optimization, on-disk data indexing, or data replication, and need to come to the role with a background in similar types of problems
- Strong skills in a system level language such as Go, C++, Java, C#, or Rust. Knowing a specific language isn’t important; what matters is that you’ve become fluent in one by spending a lot of time in the types of projects where these languages are used
- Experience operating highly available systems in production. We don’t just ship software - we also run a service on behalf of our customers. You’ll need to know how to do this effectively: where to place instrumentation to get the best understanding of your code’s behavior in production, how to debug distributed systems under load, and how to reproduce issues that might seem to only manifest in production workloads
- A flexible, collaborative working style. We’re a small team working in a rapidly evolving space, and we’re looking for people that will help build a positive, supportive environment
Reporting to Jeroen Soeters, Engineering Manager
The reasonably estimated base salary for this role at Chronosphere is as shown below, plus a company bonus and a competitive equity package. Actual compensation is based on factors such as the candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience. Chronosphere offers a wide range of best-in-class, comprehensive, and inclusive employee benefits for this role including healthcare, dental, vision, parental planning, and mental health benefits, a 401(k) plan, and unlimited paid time off.
Chronosphere offers 11 holidays for the calendar year.
Chronosphere's Parental and Family Leave policy offers 24 weeks of leave within a child's first year of life. Our offer of 16 weeks of paid leave with an option to extend for an additional 8 weeks of unpaid time off has no minimum service requirement to utilize and is available for birth, surrogacy, or adoption.
- Health Insurance Coverage
- Unlimited Vacation Time
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options
- And More