Chief of Staff
At Apartment List, we’re on a mission to find every renter a home they love at the value they deserve. Finding the right place to live is one of the most important, time-consuming and expensive decisions that all of us make. Getting it right matters. We’ve helped millions of families find a home they love, and we’re just getting started.
We are seeking a results-oriented and hyper organized strategist to join us as Chief of Staff to the COO at Apartment List. You will play a pivotal role in ensuring the seamless operation and growth of one of the most robust and complex organizations within our company. This dynamic position will scale the impact and reach of our COO, enable strategic alignment of the COO leadership team, and drive high performance across our business.
Your role extends to supporting leadership team effectiveness, ensuring flawless execution, and contributing to operational excellence. As a project manager and strategic adviser, you will be at the forefront of transformative initiatives, driving efficiency, innovation, and the overall success of Apartment List. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, excited to utilize your strong business acumen and data-driven approach to problem solving, and is passionate about contributing to organizational rigor and growth, we invite you to apply for this impactful position.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Strategic Partnership: Collaborate closely with the COO to align strategic priorities and drive his leadership team in a unified direction
- Operational Excellence: Oversee key projects, ensuring flawless execution and contributing to the company's growth trajectory. Manage a portfolio of projects for the COO
- Communication Proxy: Help staff and cross-functional partners interpret, understand and carry out the COO’s vision and strategic intent through thoughtful, intentional communication and influence
- Business Rhythm: Manage recurring team meetings and processes on behalf of COO to ensure the appropriate agenda items are covered, time is spent most effectively, and deadlines are met timely and with high output
- Problem-Solving: Anticipate challenges, think critically, and offer strategic solutions, showcasing your ability to navigate complexity
- Confidentiality and Professionalism: Act as thought and activation partner to COO that require you to handle sensitive information discreetly, maintaining the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Company Wide Initiatives: As a member of the Executive Operations team, lead or support company-wide initiatives that activate our company mission and strategy across the teams and across various levels.
Here are the skills and experience you’ll need to be successful:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Management, or related field; MBA preferred
- Proven experience in management consulting, business operations, or strategic planning, showcasing a track record of critical thinking and problem-solving
- Strong business acumen and data-driven approach to decision-making
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively at all organizational levels and convey complex concepts effectively
- Ability to work independently, stay hyper-focused, and prioritize work effectively
- Results-oriented, diligent, and detail-oriented
- Ability to lead teams to outcomes through leadership by influence
Here's the Pay Range:
At Apartment List, we carefully consider a variety of factors to determine compensation for each position, including the role, level, and work. The US base salary range for this position is ($112,000 - $155,000) + variable compensation + equity, which reflects the compensation target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Please note, the compensation details provided do not include benefits and perks that we offer.
We also rely on market indicators along with considering your work location, job related skills, experience and relevant education and training, to determine compensation that is fair and competitive for you. Apartment List will consider paying compensation near the higher of the range in exceptional circumstances, where candidates have the experience, credentials or expertise that would warrant such consideration. It is always our goal to hire exceptional talent and we would be happy to share more about compensation during the hiring process.
Here's what's in it for you (full-time employees only; does not apply to contract roles):
- Competitive Compensation: Including annual salary, pre-IPO stock options, and other financial compensation (if applicable)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage: 100% of premiums covered for you AND all of your dependents
- Unlimited Flexible Time Off: Unlimited FTO in addition to 12 company holidays per year, quarterly “recharge” days, and a week-long holiday break
- Home Office Reimbursement: To cover home office furniture and supplies, monthly home internet, and monthly cell phone (if applicable)
- Health & Wellness Reimbursement: To cover monthly gym membership or other qualifying expenses
- Parental Support: Generous parental and family leave, fertility benefits, and employer-sponsored stipends towards family forming services
- 401k Plan: To support you in your individual retirement goals
- Team Events: Frequent team-building events, fun team off-sites, and bi-annual company meetups
- Commitment to DEI: To prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within our workplace and to stay true to our values and mission
- Mentorship and Training: To get you onboard quickly, learn new professional skills, and invest in your career development
- Impact and Visibility: To expose you to and provide the opportunity to work on highly strategic initiatives that will transform the business
- Encouragement and Empowerment: To explore and adopt new technologies and drive meaningful decisions and outcomes
At Apartment List we believe that everyone deserves a home they love AND a career they love. We strive to build a diverse team that is a reflection of the people we serve; this is made possible through our commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and connectedness.
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we celebrate the collection of individual differences, life experiences, ideas, perspectives, knowledge, and talent. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status.