Staff Data Scientist
At Apartment List, we’re on a mission to find every renter a home they love at the value they deserve. Finding the right place to live is one of the most important, time-consuming and expensive decisions that all of us make. Getting it right matters. We’ve helped over 1 million families find a home they love, and we’re just getting started.
Apartment List is looking for a staff level data scientist to help us attract and match the right renter with the right property at the right time! In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to consider and balance multiple optimization objectives for renters, property management companies and revenue. To do so, you will need to understand the journey through the lens of data, and separate the important features from the noise. You’ll have the opportunity to lead work focused on machine-learning models that bring in renters, rank potential properties to best match renter preferences, and pinpoint the motivations and intent of renters. On your journey, you will partner with Product, Engineering, Design, Analytics and Growth to develop, implement, and evolve our machine learning models and practice.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Deeply understand the data and customer and business problems, in order to more closely align machine-learning model objectives and develop the best features and models to predict them
- Deliver and deploy end-to-end machine-learning models, build measurement plans, learn and iterate to drive results
- Apply a solid statistical mindset and best practices, in the collaborative process of model development, deployment and evolution
- Collaborate with other experienced data scientists
- Partner closely with Engineering, Product, Analytics, Growth and Design to develop and refine machine-learning models that drive the customer and business success
- Communicate broadly, clearly and often the opportunities and the results of applying ML - to stakeholders at all levels of the organization
Here are the skills and experience you’ll need to be successful:
- Experience with a broad set of statistical and machine learning methods to solve and optimize critical business problems and metrics
- A degree in Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Physics or related quantitative field with at least 4 years of industry experience in developing machine-learning models, and ideally leading projects and small teams
- Strength both technically and theoretically in statistical learning and modeling, engineering, experimental design and analysis, causal inference
- Comfort and experience with communicating and collaborating with cross-functional audiences
- Ability to quantitatively research and act on technical strategies, define clear scope, scale and timeline projects
- Some mixture of SQL, Python and cloud (GCP prefered) experience will be essential
- Familiarity with standard ML libraries and managed solutions and a strong ability to work through feature engineering, selection, hyperparameter and model optimizations
- A hunger to dig into uncharted territory and make a huge impact
And here is what’s in it for you:
- An exceptional team: our hiring bar is absurdly high and your colleagues are talented, motivated, self- starters
- An incredible opportunity to build out a critical function
- A strong voice within R&D to influence our product and company strategy
- A virtual-first culture that allows you to work from anywhere in the US
Here's the Pay Range:
At Apartment List, we carefully consider a variety of factors to determine compensation for each position, including the role, level, and work. The US base salary range for this position is $165,000 - $230,000 + bonus + equity, which reflects the compensation target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Please note, the compensation details provided do not include benefits and perks that we offer.
We also rely on market indicators along with considering your work location, job related skills, experience and relevant education and training, to determine compensation that is fair and competitive for you. Apartment List will consider paying compensation near the higher of the range in exceptional circumstances, where candidates have the experience, credentials or expertise that would warrant such consideration. It is always our goal to hire exceptional talent and we would be happy to share more about compensation during the hiring process.
Here's what's in it for you (full-time employees only):
- Competitive Compensation: Including annual salary, pre-IPO stock options, and other financial compensation (if applicable)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage: 100% of premiums covered for you AND all of your dependents
- Unlimited Flexible Time Off: Unlimited FTO in addition to 11 company holidays per year, quarterly “recharge” days, and a week-long holiday break
- Home Office Reimbursement: To cover home office furniture and supplies, monthly home internet, and monthly cell phone (if applicable)
- Health & Wellness Reimbursement: To cover monthly gym membership or other qualifying expenses
- Parental Support: Generous parental and family leave, fertility benefits, and employer-sponsored stipends towards family forming services
- 401k Plan: To support you in your individual retirement goals
- Team Events: Frequent team-building events, fun team off-sites, and bi-annual company meetups
- Commitment to DEI: To prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within our workplace and to stay true to our values and mission
- Mentorship and Training: To get you onboard quickly, learn new professional skills, and invest in your career development
- Impact and Visibility: To expose you to and provide the opportunity to work on highly strategic initiatives that will transform the business
- Encouragement and Empowerment: To explore and adopt new technologies and drive meaningful decisions and outcomes
At Apartment List we believe that everyone deserves a home they love AND a career they love. We strive to build a diverse team that is a reflection of the people we serve; this is made possible through our commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and connectedness.
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we celebrate the collection of individual differences, life experiences, ideas, perspectives, knowledge, and talent. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status.