People Business Partner (Lead / Director)
At Apartment List, we’re on a mission to find every renter a home they love at the value they deserve. Finding the right place to live is one of the most important, time-consuming and expensive decisions that all of us make. Getting it right matters. We’ve helped over 1 million families find a home they love, and we’re just getting started.
We recognize the power of a forward-thinking People function. As a People Business Partner, you'll be at the heart of our organizational strategy and culture, serving as a trusted partner and coach to AL’s executives and leaders, particularly in our RnD and Ops orgs. Your role will be instrumental in understanding and enhancing the intricate interplay of people, culture, and performance in these orgs. Reporting directly to the VP, People, your mission will encompass a wide spectrum – from strategic organizational design and compensation management to complex employee relations matters. You will leverage your HR expertise to influence decision-making, collaborate with diverse teams, and drive transformative initiatives, making Apartment List an epicenter for talent and innovation.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Serve as a key advisor and coach for AL’s leadership, providing guidance on vital People matters, including leadership development, manager effectiveness, performance, and organizational culture.
- Craft a comprehensive People strategy for departments that you are supporting, infusing strategic thinking and a data-oriented approach, ensuring high organizational engagement, performance, and effectiveness.
- Partner seamlessly with various People centers of excellence, including Talent Acquisition, People Operations, Talent Management, Total Rewards, and DEI. Design, pilot, and scale high-impact People initiatives like performance assessments, L&D and DEI programs.
- Navigate and resolve complex employee relations issues, ensuring cultural alignment, ethical considerations, and compliance. This includes deep collaboration with ApartmentList leaders, People COEs, and our Legal team.
- Leader and strong thought partner on the People team, fostering collaboration and ensuring business results are achieved as a cohesive unit.
Here are the skills and experience you’ll need to be successful:
- Strategic Thinking: Demonstrated ability to prioritize, make informed decisions, and help the business allocate its resources effectively. Adept at seeing the big picture and honing in on what's truly essential.
- Problem Solving: Proficiency in using structured thinking combined with a strong data orientation to identify, dissect, and resolve complex organizational challenges.
- Influencer Coach: Proven record as a trusted coach to leaders, employees, and stakeholders with the capacity to deliver challenging messages compassionately. An exceptional listener and communicator with a notable executive presence.
- Collaboration: Proven aptitude in building trust and working in harmony with various teams and stakeholders, including the People team, business leaders, and other associates.
- HR Expertise: Comprehensive knowledge in the domain of people, culture, and organizations. An adept HR generalist who can interlink various aspects to deliver value, coupled with a solid understanding of the entire People function and its COEs.
Here's the Pay Range:
At Apartment List, we carefully consider a variety of factors to determine compensation for each position, including the role, level, and work. The US base salary range for this position is $150,000 - $190,000 + variable compensation + equity, which reflects the compensation target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Please note, the compensation details reflect base salary only and do not include bonus, benefits, and perks that we offer.
We also rely on market indicators along with considering your work location, job related skills, experience and relevant education and training, to determine compensation that is fair and competitive for you. Apartment List will consider paying compensation near the higher of the range in exceptional circumstances, where candidates have the experience, credentials or expertise that would warrant such consideration. It is always our goal to hire exceptional talent and we would be happy to share more about compensation during the hiring process.
Here's what's in it for you (full-time employees only):
- Competitive Compensation: Including annual salary, pre-IPO stock options, and other financial compensation (if applicable)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage: 100% of premiums covered for you AND all of your dependents
- Unlimited Flexible Time Off: Unlimited FTO in addition to 11 company holidays per year, quarterly “recharge” days, and a week-long holiday break
- Home Office Reimbursement: To cover home office furniture and supplies, monthly home internet, and monthly cell phone (if applicable)
- Health & Wellness Reimbursement: To cover monthly gym membership or other qualifying expenses
- Parental Support: Generous parental and family leave, fertility benefits, and employer-sponsored stipends towards family forming services
- 401k Plan: To support you in your individual retirement goals
- Team Events: Frequent team-building events, fun team off-sites, and bi-annual company meetups
- Commitment to DEI: To prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within our workplace and to stay true to our values and mission
- Mentorship and Training: To get you onboard quickly, learn new professional skills, and invest in your career development
- Impact and Visibility: To expose you to and provide the opportunity to work on highly strategic initiatives that will transform the business
- Encouragement and Empowerment: To explore and adopt new technologies and drive meaningful decisions and outcomes
At Apartment List we believe that everyone deserves a home they love AND a career they love. We strive to build a diverse team that is a reflection of the people we serve; this is made possible through our commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and connectedness.
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we celebrate the collection of individual differences, life experiences, ideas, perspectives, knowledge, and talent. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status.