Senior Corporate Counsel
Algolia is looking to hire a Senior Corporate Counsel with a focus on commercial transactions and privacy to our Legal and Compliance Team! The ideal candidate will be a seasoned legal professional with extensive experience in commercial and privacy law, particularly in drafting and negotiating technology-related agreements. In this role, you'll be the pivotal liaison for our revenue team managers and will collaborate closely with our Marketing, Security, Product, and Engineering teams. This is a great opportunity for a dynamic, tech savvy lawyer with a passion for helping businesses to scale. As a leader, you will leverage your legal expertise, exhibit a keen interest in our product, business challenges and the industry at large, identify areas for enhancement, and initiate cross-team projects to increase the legal team's impact in the company.
YOUR ROLE WILL CONSIST OF:
- Revenue Team Collaboration and Deal Facilitation: Serve as the primary legal advisor to the revenue teams, guiding them through the negotiation of new contracts and the renewal of existing deals. Build and maintain strong working relationships with sales managers, proactively identifying business needs and managing workloads to ensure optimal efficiency.
- Contract Expertise and Management: Expertly draft, review, and negotiate a diverse range of commercial agreements, including but not limited to enterprise SaaS agreements, software licensing, data processing agreements, and partnerships. Handle various vendor and marketing agreements, ensuring compliance and alignment with company objectives.
- Cross-Functional Partnership: Collaborate with global teams across finance, deal desk, security, and support to synchronize legal policies and processes with broader company workflows. Lead initiatives to enhance the efficiency of the legal team, including process optimization and template development.
- Knowledge Development and Sharing: Establish and maintain a comprehensive knowledge base to support the revenue, customer success, and support teams in addressing customer inquiries and challenges. Develop and deliver training materials and sessions on topics such as Master Service Agreements (MSAs), Data Processing Agreements (DPAs), deal renewal strategies, and marketing laws.
- Process Improvement and Strategic Guidance: Drive and implement projects aimed at improving legal team processes, templates, and cross-team collaboration. Utilize your expertise to guide the team and contribute to the refinement of our legal strategies and processes.
- Management of External Resources: Oversee and manage the engagement of outside counsel to support additional workloads, ensuring efficient and cost-effective legal support.
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT IF YOU HAVE:
- Professional level fluency and drafting in English, and ideally one other language (Arabic, German or Spanish)
- Qualifications as an EU or UK lawyer (current or past)
- At least 7 years of experience in the IT or corporate team of a global law firm with training in corporate law; and a big plus for in-house relevant work experience in a growing technology company
- Impeccable, expert legal drafting and technique allowing autonomous deal closing and redlining on the fly of negotiation calls
- Strong transactional experience with drafting and negotiating complex enterprise SaaS agreements, including in regulated sectors (e.g. public, banking). Team player with a passion for partnering with Sales and closing deals
- Expertise in privacy regulations as applicable to the SaaS industry, awareness of AI governance
- Experience supporting engineering teams in the enforcement of privacy by design and the practical implications of security and privacy frameworks
- Excellent legal and business judgment, curiosity for the business beyond the legal scope, understanding of the industry
- Strong communication and analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced setting
Nice to Have
- Expertise in privacy compliance programs and internal compliance tools
- Experience in audits with privacy authorities
- Experience with dispute resolution and litigation management
WE'RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN LIVE OUR VALUES:
- GRIT - Problem-solving and perseverance capability in an ever-changing and growing environment
- TRUST - Willingness to trust our co-workers and to take ownership
- CANDOR - Ability to receive and give constructive feedback
- CARE - Genuine care about other team members, our clients and the decisions we make in the company
- HUMILITY - Aptitude for learning from others, putting ego aside
Algolia’s flexible workplace model is designed to empower all Algolians to fulfill our mission to power search and discovery with ease. We place an emphasis on an individual’s impact, contribution, and output, over their physical location. Algolia is a high-trust environment and our team members have the autonomy to choose where they want to work and when. We know community comes in many forms and strive to create opportunities for intentional in-person connection in our offices and virtually for our remote colleagues around the world.
We have a global presence with physical offices in San Francisco, NYC, Paris, London, Sydney and Bucharest.
Algolia prides itself on being a pioneer and market leader offering an AI-powered, API-First Search & Discovery platform that empowers 17,000+ businesses to compose customer experiences at internet scale that predict what their users want with blazing fast search and web browse experience. Algolia powers more than 30 billion search requests a week – four times more than Microsoft Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, Yandex and DuckDuckGo combined.
Algolia is part of a cadre of innovative new companies that are driving the next generation of software development, creating APIs that make developers’ lives easier; solutions that are better than building from scratch and better than having to tweak monolithic SaaS solutions.
In 2021, the company closed $150 million in series D funding and quadrupled its post-money valuation of $2.25 billion. Being well capitalized enables Algolia to continue to invest in its market leading platform, to better serve its thousands of customers–including Under Armor, Petsmart, Stripe, Gymshark, and Walgreens, to name just a few.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re looking for talented, passionate people to build the world’s best search & discovery technology. As an ownership-driven company, we seek team members who thrive within an environment based on autonomy and diversity. We're committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. We care about each other and the world around us, and embrace talented people regardless of their race, age, ancestry, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, color, veteran status, disability and socioeconomic background.
READY TO APPLY?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for building the world’s best search & discovery technology, we’d love to review your application!