Senior Web Engineer
At the dawn of mobile apps, Airship powered the first commercial messages and then expanded its data-led approach to all re-engagement channels (mobile wallet, SMS, email), app UX experimentation and feature release management.
Now, with Airship App Experience Platform (AXP), brands can create and adapt native app experiences on their own — with no ongoing developer support or app updates required.
Having powered trillions of mobile app interactions for thousands of global brands, Airship is proud to be at the forefront of what has become the digital center of customer experience, loyalty and monetization — mobile app experience (MAX).
About the Role
Web Engineers at Airship are responsible for maintaining, improving, and extending the dashboard that our customers use every day. They weave Python, TypeScript, React, and CSS together to create new ways for companies to inform and engage with their customers. In an average week, you will:
- Collaborate with teammates in other functional roles, including Product Managers, Platform Engineers, and Program Managers
- Read, understand, and write code (primarily Python and TypeScript)
- Provide technical design input for and development of new features that will continue to push our messaging platform forward
- Work with Infrastructure, QA, and other Engineers to troubleshoot issues that are escalated through Support
- Test changes, both manually and by writing and updating unit and integration tests
- Attend meetings with the team, including sprint planning, backlog refinement, and retrospectives
- Work with a strong, cross-team group of Backend Engineers to build a consistent and maintainable platform
- Deploy multiple changes to production using feature flags to control end-user visibility
This position is geared toward someone with several years of industry experience working directly on functional improvements to web applications. There are opportunities for both collaborative and independent work, and you will be part of a larger functional team with plenty of experienced engineers ready to help if you need it
About the Team
The Channels Team at Airship is responsible for improving and supporting Airship Email, SMS, and Mobile Wallet. We strive to create a compelling set of features that complement Airship’s mobile-first strategy. There are a lot of opportunities to make a direct impact and to see the results of the work you do in your daily life. For example, when you fly and install a mobile boarding pass, it has a good chance of being powered by our platform!
What to Expect
Within the first week, you will:
- Be introduced to the cross-functional team and will learn what each role does
- Set up your development environment, be granted access to source code and internal systems
- Read a lot of documentation and watch a few videos to learn about our product and platform
- Clone code and set up one a local development environment
- Be assigned your first ticket and start working with your team to solve real problems
Within the first month, you will:
- Gain familiarity with team processes
- Write code, unit tests, and internal documentation for the new features you are working on
- Deploy your changes to our production environment
- Update assigned tickets as the status changes and communicate closely with the tech lead on your team to stay unblocked
- Participate in daily stand-ups and other team meetings
- Participate in code review (we spread this across the team automatically, so you will be asked to review the code of more senior engineers, and we welcome your input)
- Join regular team meetings and give your input on technical or process changes being proposed by members of the team (including you!)
Within the first 3-6 months, you will:
- Join the on-call rotation and collaborate to resolve production issues (the entire team takes turns with week-long shifts)
- Continuously explore, understand, and improve unfamiliar areas of the code base
- Make pragmatic decisions about when to refactor and when to iterate
- Deploy updates across services to bring new functionality to end users
- Work with designers to create a polished and consistent end product
- Over time, take on more responsibility for technical planning and scoping
- Get opportunities to explore services that make up our highly distributed platform that powers our messaging product
- Mentor, educate, and help grow newer members of the team
- Experience with one or more server-side languages and/or frameworks (we use Python, but any full-stack experience will do)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment
Bonus points for:
- Experience writing and modifying React/Redux apps
- Experience working with Django
- Experience working with Postgres (or another relational database)
Airship has a fantastic career path for developing software engineers like yourself, including support to grow your career with regular 1:1s, Hack Week, multiple review cycles per year, a professional development fund, and a formal mentorship program.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Compensation at Airship
Airship’s compensation is determined by a variety of factors including market data, experience ladders, and geographical location. The starting salary range for this position is $114,000 to $130,000 per year. Some roles may also be eligible for commission, bonus, competitive equity packages, and other performance incentives. In addition, we also provide an extensive suite of benefits as part of our Total Rewards approach to compensation.
CCPA disclosure notice here.
Benefits at Airship
Workplace Flexibility (Fully Remote Option) + WFH stipends + Medical, Dental, & Vision Insurance (PPO/HSA Options) + Mental Health Benefits + Open PTO Policy (take the time you need) + 401(k) Retirement Plan + Stock Options + Mentorship Program + Employee Resource Groups + Culture Club + Supplemental Benefits (Life Insurance, Short/Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending) + Parental Leave + Employee Assistance Program + Referral Bonus Program.
Duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time; or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands and may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of the Employer.